Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Developed An Intel Linux Vulkan GPU Driver

Phoronix: Valve Developed An Intel Linux Vulkan GPU Driver

For helping out ISVs and game developers test out their initial Vulkan code, they developed their own Intel Vulkan GPU graphics driver for Linux that they intend to open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The short DOTA2 demo they showed, even runs on this code

about 1:12

They want to opensource it once the Vulkan specs are published.

Comment

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise Lord GabeN ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Comment

Freakin AWESOME

Ok, Valve just won the Internet today.

Comment

Next implement full OpenGL on top of that for faster performance and easier adoption of the GL 4.x spec. John McDonald of Valve hinted that you probably could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
            The short DOTA2 demo they showed, even runs on this code

about 1:12

They want to opensource it once the Vulkan specs are published.
            for alpha it has some glorious performance. i just wonder which Iris was underneath, since i only saw Dota 2 on Intel at my friends and it was more like meh

Comment

It's a good thing that it was developed with extremely weak hardware in mind. When real GPUs start rendering Vulkan, performance should be very very good.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Next implement full OpenGL on top of that for faster performance and easier adoption of the GL 4.x spec. John McDonald of Valve hinted that you probably could do that.
                https://twitter.com/basisspace/statu...82010403807232
                And hopefully wine devs will replace their OGL wrapper with Vulkan

Comment

Who's going to use this? Most game devs can barely be bothered to port to Windows, let alone OpenGL.

So that leaves Valve.

And Valve doesn't make any games anymore.

So that leaves nobody.

Comment

Why would it be based on Mesa? Since Intel has side-stepped the API-agnostic Gallium3D infrastructure, their entire Mesa driver is completely OpenGL specific. I doubt there'd be anything useful to repurpose.

Comment

Working...
                    X