Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Will Start Booting With Systemd Next Monday

Phoronix: Ubuntu Will Start Booting With Systemd Next Monday

This week Ubuntu Cloud switched over to systemd while on Monday is when all other Ubuntu flavors will be migrating to systemd by default over Upstart...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we're talkin! Ubuntu 15.04, can't wait

Comment

Typo: Verbet

Honoring a Wine developer by naming an Ubuntu release after him would have been nice tho

Comment

Upstart was techlogically great software.
        But nobody wanted to use it, because Canonical were being jerks and not accepting contributions from the community and forced developers to sign Contributor License Agreements (CLA).

So then nobody wanted Upstart and then later systemd came and swooped in and everyone jumped on that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Upstart was techlogically great software.
          But nobody wanted to use it, because Canonical were being jerks and not accepting contributions from the community and forced developers to sign Contributor License Agreements (CLA).

So then nobody wanted Upstart and then later systemd came and swooped in and everyone jumped on that.
          Writing Your own history???

RED HAT used Upstart in their RHEL!!!!!!

Systemd started becuase of technical need (namly resolving startup script by init deamon vs upstarts after/before script guidance)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            Systemd started becuase of technical need (namly resolving startup script by init deamon vs upstarts after/before script guidance)
            Partly yes. systemd devs would have loved to contribute to upstart but couldn't.
            Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

I've been running Lubuntu 15.04 alpha with systemd as the default for a month. It's been fine. I've hit bugs, but none of them were related to systemd - settings widgets crashed, etc...

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Writing Your own history???

RED HAT used Upstart in their RHEL!!!!!!

Right. RHEL 6 uses Upstart. But many major distributions are switching to systemd - or switched a while ago - because of its features.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                I've been running Lubuntu 15.04 alpha with systemd as the default for a month. It's been fine. I've hit bugs, but none of them were related to systemd - settings widgets crashed, etc...
                I've had the same experience with trying Ubuntu Gnome 15.04. I've switched back over to Ubuntu 15.04 with systemd, and like you said, the only bugs I've encountered are non-systemd related.

It took me about an hour to figure out where and how to create an xorg.conf that makes my R9 290 work right. The freaking thing only had the DRM module loaded, and there was no xorg.conf file, so I had it generate the xorg.conf.new in my home folder, which I renamed to xorg.conf, edited to my liking, moved into the /etc/X11, reboot, and magically all my games run great
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 05 March 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

xorg-server 1.17 is pretty much the last thing I can think of that would make Vivid a pretty great release.

I'm really not too sure what to expect when going from Upstart to systemd; but if it's anything like other distros using systemd, the boot times are pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    xorg-server 1.17 is pretty much the last thing I can think of that would make Vivid a pretty great release.
                    For anyone curious, the Canonical X Staging PPA is offering xorg-server 1.17.1

Comment

Working...
                    X