Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, is ATI skipping over the Mobility cards ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, is ATI skipping over the Mobility cards ?

I've been surfing around since I might be interested in an additional laptop (for school).

Anyway, I came around this 8600M / 8400M are faulty

Needless to say, I don't fancy my study laptop blowing up on me after... say 6 months or 1 year.
    (This includes the Macbook Pro, btw)

Anyway, I was looking on stuff like the Dell Studio 17 line which has a Mobility Radeon 3650 which manages to beat the 8600M performance-wise in Windows.

Now. I'll be going to an IT University and so I'll likely be using windows to some extent. But I _really_ prefer having Linux on my laptops as well (in fact, right now I only ever use XP for LAN's, and I never use Vista).

So.. My question is.. Are ATI completely disregarding their mobile line or are there plans to give these lines some love ?

I'm aware of the lackluster performance under Wine, although all I'd wish it proper resolution, compiz and video playback (windowed and fullscreen) in Linux.

If I cannot get this, I think I'll have to skip this round..

I don't think there are any plans to skip mobile support. The mobile parts typically appear in public months after the desktop ones, partly due to separate qual efforts and partly due to the longer design cycles for laptops vs cards, and driver support would follow the same schedule.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't think there are any plans to skip mobile support. The mobile parts typically appear in public months after the desktop ones, partly due to separate qual efforts and partly due to the longer design cycles for laptops vs cards, and driver support would follow the same schedule.
      Yep, but it was better when there was no support

It seems support for Mobility Radeons HD2x00 HD3x00 was added with this release... and with this release Xorg Hangs http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11570

Comment

Hahhaha!

I guess a "sorry guys" is in order then
        At least I get to try the driver just like everyone else then.

Comment

Originally posted by DaedalusIcarus View Post
          Hahhaha!

I guess a "sorry guys" is in order then
          At least I get to try the driver just like everyone else then.
          well yep, but nobody answered me... neither Bridgman nor Mtippet they should know if during testing a Mobility Radeon HD2600 was used!!!

But it's a bit stupid to certify M76 works with this driver even if you know it doesn't work... so I think they didn't tested it!!! but again it's stupid to say it's supported, but you have not tested it!

..so a big "sorry guys" isn't much.... but it's more that what I heard till now.

Comment

older generation laptops cards work fine...
            my x700 mobility works great, for example. lol.

Comment

Working...
            X