Open-Source SPIR-V Reader & Writer Written In Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
    I don't think the word racism means what you think it does.

The race of the author has no relevance here and Java is not a race.
    Author is from the race of PHP developer and dislike the race of Java developers This actually fit the concept.

Anyway I did not actually understand what this do? Convert Java ByteCode to and from SPIR-V? Creating a mechanism so that we can utilize GPU more efficiently directly from Java is not a bad thing. On my work, we have to use C++ for that now and the worst part of that Java to C++ communication.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
      Anyway I did not actually understand what this do? Convert Java ByteCode to and from SPIR-V? Creating a mechanism so that we can utilize GPU more efficiently directly from Java is not a bad thing. On my work, we have to use C++ for that now and the worst part of that Java to C++ communication.
      I think, this is only some code to read and write binary object files, e.g. compiled shaders.

Comment

Author is from the race of PHP developer and dislike the race of Java developers This actually fit the concept.
        From the dictionary:
        Race: each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
        PHP developer and java developer are not races any more than being a dog person or a cat person.

Using the word "racism" here is just wrong, and is simply trying to put an overly negative connotation to a comment that has nothing to do with racism. I don't agree with the java bashing mind you, I am a java developer, but trying to paint the argument as racist is just a straw man.

Comment

Well.. java code really shouldn't be part of a graphics driver. Not sure why Michael actually seems concerned though; we all know that the mesa devs aren't stupid.

This isn't meant to become part of the driver though. It's not meant for game development, either - you write GLSL or OpenCL and ask an existing compiler to transform it to SPIR. A game developer has little business doing anything with SPIR but passing it to the gfx driver.

I'm not sure what it's meant for, the code doesn't say. Might be used for debugging or research applications, but probably nothing that ever ends up on the end-user's machines.

Anyway I did not actually understand what this do? Convert Java ByteCode to and from SPIR-V?
          Load SPIR into some java classes and write it back again. It doesn't actually do anything with it (yet?).

Comment

I don't think the word racism means what you think it does.

The race of the author has no relevance here and Java is not a race.
            then it's coffeism

Comment

From the dictionary:

PHP developer and java developer are not races any more than being a dog person or a cat person.

Using the word "racism" here is just wrong, and is simply trying to put an overly negative connotation to a comment that has nothing to do with racism. I don't agree with the java bashing mind you, I am a java developer, but trying to paint the argument as racist is just a straw man.
              Catachresis

just don't overreact to jokes

Comment

No, this is a SPIR-V parsing library that happens to be written in Java, it has nothing to do with Java bytecode. Besides, the JVM and GPU shader cores have little in common, so it wouldn't make sense either way.

Comment

I took the "racism" comment as a joke. But I have been known to underestimate the stupidity of internet forum posters though.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    What a bizarre comment, Michael. And this from someone who has written a complete test suite using PHP...

Java tooling is extremely useful and can be very performative, as well as crossplatform. Maybe you're thinking about shipping a game with Java, but I don't think that's the point here. The point is to write compilers, decompilers, editors, and other tools for Vulkan using Java. Especially in the compute realm, this could prove very useful, as you can plug into Java's huge ecology of tools.

An amazing usage can be for a Java program to dynamically optimize parts of itself by recompiling them into Vulkan on certain platforms. Might not be generally practical, but I see really interesting research possibilities.

Oh, and in case someone does want to deploy a game on Java: does Minecraft ring a bell? It can work, it seems.
                    Minecraft sure, let me see you do Assassin's Creed in Java, then I'll scold Michael's comments. Most games are done in C++ for good reason - it's the best language for the job (until Rust matures, then we'll see . I write Java code daily (as well as C++) and I took no offense at what he said... Michael isn't a journalist, he's a hobbyist - thus I don't expect his language to contain just the news, cut and dried...He almost always includes his personal bias. He tries to stay neutral, and probably in his own eyes it seems to him like he's doing a good job ,...but there is a reason why there's degrees in journalism, writing, etc. If it was easy to write in a way that doesn't polarize, we'd all be doing it... And even the best of them, will inevitably introduce bias in what they write - you can't NOT introduce it ...but one can certainly go to great lengths to write objectively according to some journalistic standard - Phoronix isn't it.

Besides I also have a pet peeve - I dislike PHP severely and the entire forum is written in PHP..I'd much rather it be written in Java actually or Python or Ruby - anything but PHP (or Perl). He hasn't done a facelift or any radical change to the forum in years... Can't even use Tapatalk.
                    Last edited by MartinN; 05 March 2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                      Minecraft sure, let me see you do Assassin's Creed in Java, then I'll scold Michael's comments. Most games are done in C++ for good reason - it's the best language for the job (until Rust matures, then we'll see .
                      You seem to be missing the obvious, which is that this would never be used directly in games anyway. It's meant to be used in IDE's and other toolsets, and there are plenty of IDE's and tools written in java that work just fine.

Plus the irony that Michael has a benchmarking app written in Perl just makes his comments all the more oblivious.

Comment

Working...
                      X