Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Opens Up CPU-Based PhysX Code

Phoronix: NVIDIA Opens Up CPU-Based PhysX Code

NVIDIA has decided to open up some of their CPU-based implementation of PhysX 3.3 with clothing and destruction libraries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I heard something that DX12 is making PhysX pointless. I would assume Vulkan is doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      I heard something that DX12 is making PhysX pointless. I would assume Vulkan is doing the same.
      That wouldn't be too surprising, although to be honest, I never was that big a fan of PhysX in games, Havok was always nicer as a gamer to deal with, because the game didn't require a version installed to the system which means none of the issues that for example show up in the Mass Effect series where you have to have just the right version of physx installed for 2 to work which just happens to be incompatible with the one Mass Effect 1 needs. Plus Havok seemed to work better than Physx in the games that used such physics engines.

Comment

NVIDIA OPENS PHYSX CODE TO UE4 DEVELOPERS
        How is this "open"?

Comment

Future Direct3D releases will include new rendering features - See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03....2NvUbuB4.dpuf
          then again, this is to be expected due to being low level, compute being integrated in both with heavy lean on multithreading. i'd say the same will happen in vulkan

Comment

It's already pointless in the sense that DirectCompute gives pretty good access to the GPU to implement physics. It's not pointless however in that it's an existing library that gives accelerated physics without you having to write it from scratch yourself. That's like saying that DirectX 12 makes game engines pointless too.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
              It's already pointless in the sense that DirectCompute gives pretty good access to the GPU to implement physics. It's not pointless however in that it's an existing library that gives accelerated physics without you having to write it from scratch yourself. That's like saying that DirectX 12 makes game engines pointless too.
              IOW there's now demand for a nice physics library that has DX12 and Vulkan backends that's portable, opensource and can be used in open and closed games alike

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                IOW there's now demand for a nice physics library that has DX12 and Vulkan backends that's portable, opensource and can be used in open and closed games alike
                It's already there and it's called Bullet Physics.
                And version 3 currently in development have OpenCL pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
                  It's already there and it's called Bullet Physics.
                  And version 3 currently in development have OpenCL pipeline.
                  Nice. I wish that ends up getting popular then so physx can finally go die a horrible death

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Nice. I wish that ends up getting popular then so physx can finally go die a horrible death
                    Software that not backed by marketing bullshit from certain vendor will never be popular.
                    PhysX used in many games mainly because Nvidia spend money on their vendor lock-in support.

Comment

Working...
                    X