Thread: Linux 2.6.26 Kernel Benchmarks

Default Linux 2.6.26 Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.26 Kernel Benchmarks

Over the weekend the Linux 2.6.26 kernel was released. This quarterly update to the Linux kernel introduced Kernel-based Virtual Machine improvements, new One Laptop Per Child support, a new video web camera driver, updates to the Direct Rendering Manager, and other improvements. In this article we have done some quick benchmarks of this new kernel from within the Phoronix Test Suite.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12618

Isn't a lower mflops value bad or am I misinterpreting it?

Until I got to the next-to-last page, I was under the impression that the new kernel ran faster (fewer seconds) and more efficiently (fewer flops).

It looks like it performs better in general, but I could be misinterpreting the results.

I never understand why there is so much fluctuation between kernels. Like what was changed in 2.6.26 that caused it to lose 150MB/s in the ram speed test? On the the SciMark performance dropped over 5%. In a couple releases it will probably bounce back up, but then something else will go down. Is there really that much changing in the kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gentooer View Post
    I never understand why there is so much fluctuation between kernels. Like what was changed in 2.6.26 that caused it to lose 150MB/s in the ram speed test? On the the SciMark performance dropped over 5%. In a couple releases it will probably bounce back up, but then something else will go down. Is there really that much changing in the kernel?
    I wish Michael would mention if spread spectrum was enabled or not as that could easily explain the fluctuations.