Khronos Group Announces Vulkan, OpenCL 2.1, SPIR-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Vulkan will live or die by it's own merits, not by the color of the paint on the outside.
    Nothing in this world survives only by merits, let alone a graphics api. Video card manufacturers will put that logo on the products they SELL (or wont and they'll simply write "supports vulkan too"). Games will carry that logo (or not). Plus they're designing a logo for a 3d graphics api, its visualisation technology not your fortran ide.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Dragon vs GNU, well we will see. Dragon is not that better when on earth .
      I dunno... the capability to breath fire, a long serpentine neck that gives them reach without having to put themselves in harm's way, and being several orders of magnitude larger... vs a water buffalo... I'm going to bet on the dragon every time even without it being able to fly. :P

Comment

SPIR-V seems awesome. As an OpenCL programmer, this could be the end of poor support from drivers (looking at you NVidia, not supporting OpenCL 1.2) or compilers (that one is for AMD).
        All drivers will support SPIR-V correctly because it's the main piece of the graphic pipeline, which means I will be able to use the best compilers and tools and be done with it.
        Adding c++ features to the language is also a very good news. I hope all this is made available soon.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
          Nothing in this world survives only by merits, let alone a graphics api. Video card manufacturers will put that logo on the products they SELL (or wont and they'll simply write "supports vulkan too"). Games will carry that logo (or not). Plus they're designing a logo for a 3d graphics api, its visualisation technology not your fortran ide.
          Yawn?

There's nothing inherently inflamatory about Vulkan, and it isn't the same as what it's replacing, nobody except you and the other bikeshedders care beyond that. Gamers really couldn't care less, the game developers couldn't care, and the publishers don't care otherwise the latter two wouldn't have approved the name, and the gamers really really really couldn't care less if it was Vulkan or FluffyBunnies.

Get over yourself.

This will be my last reply to you on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Please. None of us expected there to be anything from Khronos even remotely this soon.
            I do not even expect something later.

Comment

Here is Vulkan running on PowerVR GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I dunno... the capability to breath fire, a long serpentine neck that gives them reach without having to put themselves in harm's way, and being several orders of magnitude larger... vs a water buffalo... I'm going to bet on the dragon every time even without it being able to fly. :P
                Dragons can't cope in penguins land, it is cold there... no flying and no breathing fire possibile

Comment

I didnt like the name changing, anyway since Vulkan seems alternative to GL I agree with their choice

Any bench so far except the powerVR one?

Comment

So it will run on everything supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, but what about GL?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      So it will run on everything supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, but what about GL?
                      Any hardware which supports compute shaders, that is OpenGL 4.3 level hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X