No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine Made Free By Epic Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried UE4 on Linux ? Reading the official page on Linux Support, seems that is better to cross-compile from Windows which I don't have and don't want to install.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
      100% Free 0% Freedom?
      Free as in free beer.

Comment

I think this is a great move. It'll help move devs to UE4 because there's no risk involved, and it allows plenty of free games. Makes me wonder though, the types of loopholes and technicalities. For example, free game but paid subscription, or free game but paid DLC.

I hope to see many linux releases with this engine.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I think this is a great move. It'll help move devs to UE4 because there's no risk involved, and it allows plenty of free games. Makes me wonder though, the types of loopholes and technicalities. For example, free game but paid subscription, or free game but paid DLC.

I hope to see many linux releases with this engine.
          Well, in some ways it could make sense for a lot of Free To Play style MMO games that are doing pretty good right now. I don't at all agree with Pay To Win, but if all the same can be earned in game I don't see it as a huge problem. Every game publisher needs a revenue. It seems like this model could work well in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            A reminder: its license does not respect the Free Software Definition nor the Open Source Definition.

Consider using an engine like Godot, Torque 3D, Tesseract, ? instead.
            I'm sure they are worried just like Apple is worried.

Comment

It seems that the repo they had up in Github is removed. Where should I get the original source code then...

Comment

According to the wiki, the github repo required to be an Unreal suscriber. Seems that the real world has not yet replicated the changes of the press world.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                  Free as in free beer.
                  It still amazes me all the Stallmanites on Phoronix. They whine about a small outfits entire core business not being handed over to them, as they want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    It still amazes me all the Stallmanites on Phoronix. They whine about a small outfits entire core business not being handed over to them, as they want it.
                    They are just trolls from 4chan.org/g who bow to Richard Stallman every morning they wake up. Ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
                      They are just trolls from 4chan.org/g who bow to Richard Stallman every morning they wake up. Ignore them.
                      Hey now, people like RMS are needed to help make sure not everything is locked down, however these days less so on the software side and more on the hardware side where everything has firmware on it dialing home, or worse.

I really admire him and wish there were more people who stood up to make sure the PC isn't a super locked down platform...

However, everyone bitching it isn't liberated (Open source is a bad term) source under the GPL need to think what this can do for Linux as a gaming platform. Do you realize how many triple A games are going to be using this engine? My guess a metric fuck tonne. This is AMAZING news especially since engines like unity are complete shit. All hail the reign of Epic games engines. Huzzah!

p.s. that does mean more non-free games on Linux.. But since I buy them and play them in wine (or native if available) anyway since I am a bad little freedom lover I rather be a bad little freedom lover playing my dirty game @ twice the fps because it's native.

Comment

Working...
                      X