Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Everyone Likes The Possible "VULKAN" Name For Next-Gen OpenGL

Phoronix: Not Everyone Likes The Possible "VULKAN" Name For Next-Gen OpenGL

I'm still working on any sort of possible confirmation from the Khronos Group and other OpenGL stakeholders whether Vulkan is the name of the next-generation OpenGL API, but alas, on the weekend and being just a few days before the announcement, nothing has been confirmed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are already two good monikers: glNext and OpenGL NG. I wonder why they aren't used.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      There are already two good monikers: glNext and OpenGL NG. I wonder why they aren't used.
      I don't like names that contains "new", "next", "ng" or anything like that. Because at some point they'll also become obsolete. How would you name a successor to "glNext"?

Comment

I like Vulkan, it's a perfect reference to Mantle. Obviously not because of Leonard Nimoy but since he died it might be a perfect way to honor him?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Because in 10 years time they won't make any sense. They're just placeholder names and lots of companies do it - like Microsoft with "vNext".

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
            I don't like names that contains "new", "next", "ng" or anything like that. Because at some point they'll also become obsolete. How would you name a successor to "glNext"?
            glNext2

Comment

I like Vulkan.
              Its perfectly international.
              But a probably better name would be "Volcanus", because its latin language.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                glNext2
                glNext2++0x9999FFF_93.a.25.0123 Lite

Comment

No shit!

I don't get what's wrong with the current „OpenGL“. There is a meaning in this name.
                  But it's not like it's been said that there is change in the name...
                  Last edited by sbolokanov; 01 March 2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Vulkan doesn't seem like a very creative name for a graphics API. The only thing I really see that it relates to is Mantle because Vulkan means volcano in German and the fact that Leonard Nimoy just passed away.
                    At least Direct3D, OpenGL, Metal, Mantle, etc. names are actually related to graphics in some way. If they do go with Vulkan, I get the feeling they kinda completely forgot why AMD named Mantle Mantle.

Honestly though, I don't really care what they choose. They can name it Unicorn for all I care.

Comment

Working...
                    X