Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbolokanov View Post
    No shit!

I don't get what's wrong with the current ?OpenGL?. There is a meaning in this name.
    Change the name and you loose the credit.
    I am starting to think the same thing. Maybe they should just name it GL...but I guess "Graphics Library" isnt a good name. Perhaps KGL, Khronos Graphics Library?

Comment

How will OpenGL be able to compete with Mantle API and DirectX 12 at the present time and in the future?
      Last edited by Rakl?dder; 01 March 2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        I like Vulkan, it's a perfect reference to Mantle. Obviously not because of Leonard Nimoy but since he died it might be a perfect way to honor him?
        Sounds like an interesting way to honor the late Spock...so yes Vulkan it should be

Comment

VULKAN might mean something, recursive acronym of something

Comment

Originally posted by Rakl?dder View Post
            How will OpenGL be able to compete with Mantle API and DirectX 12 at the present time and in the future?
            That is more of a question about Windows, because Windows (will) have them all... on Linux there is no graphic API competition, we will use it .

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
              I am starting to think the same thing. Maybe they should just name it GL...but I guess "Graphics Library" isnt a good name. Perhaps KGL, Khronos Graphics Library?
              KGL would of course be "Kool Graphics Library", like in KDE.

Vulkan doesn't sound very techy or flashy. Even Lava API would sound better.
              Last edited by blackout23; 01 March 2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

the only bad thing about this name would be harder discoverability of documentation when searching online. Vulkan is real world in too many languages.

as far as the rest, i'm guessing their marketing team had a reason for this choice and they surely know better than my imagination

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
                  I don't like names that contains "new", "next", "ng" or anything like that. Because at some point they'll also become obsolete. How would you name a successor to "glNext"?
                  I agree with you. For me, "glNext" is OpenGL 5. Why not "OpenGL 5 " ?

Comment

VulkanGL would be ok.

To be honest, they should just stick with OpenGL. OpenGL is already widely known, even to the not so technical users, changing the name would simply confuse non technical users and do more bad than good.

Comment

Why not OpenGL Core? or OpenGL 5

Comment

Working...
                      X