Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Specifications On The Alleged Ubuntu Tablet

Phoronix: New Specifications On The Alleged Ubuntu Tablet

Back in December, Phoronix delivered the first article about An Ubuntu Tablet Inspired By The Ubuntu Edge Is Coming. From the company responsible for this tablet inspired by the failed Ubuntu Edge smartphone we have some new specifications of the tablet they plan to ship with Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2.4Ghz Intel Quad Core
    Sounds like it doomed to be heavy and power hog and would mostly resemble notebook without keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      Sounds like it doomed to be heavy and power hog and would mostly resemble notebook without keyboard?
      No.
      This quad core it's probably a Atom CPU not a Core CPU.

Comment

Not a good time to debut a tablet. It's already too late, the tablet bubble has already burst. Tablets won't disappear entirely, but the sales explosion they saw early on is over. Any new tablet is going to have very tough sledding to make any inroads into the market.

Comment

2.4Ghz Intel Quad Core
          Well, any interest I had in that tablet was gone with that single specification.

Comment

What's wrong with Intel quad core? Plenty of tablets have that. I have a Lenovo Miix 2 that runs Windows 8.1 just fine and that's a quad core Intel.

Or are you complaining that it's running at 2.4ghz? Admittedly, mine runs at 1.8, but if it's Broadwell I'm sure they could push it further than the older Haswells.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              What's wrong with Intel quad core? Plenty of tablets have that.
              I'm sure the CPU itself is fine performance-wise; but I'm just against anything Intel-related

Would love a nice 10" tablet of some kind with an AMD APU in it.

Comment

Originally posted by marciocr View Post
                No.
                This quad core it's probably a Atom CPU not a Core CPU.
                First, picture in article looks bulky and I can imagine huge accumulator pack contributes to size and weight of this device heck a lot.

Second, atom is weirdest CPU I've ever seen. It both slow in speed and suxx at power consumption. It runs at ARM-like speed but does not minds to be power hog like all x86s.

I had chance to give a try to some Intel based tablet. It sucked really hard compared to similar ARM based device with comparable screen and battery capacity. It standby and especially operation time was no match to ARM based device at all! It gets warm even if no serious loads running. Battery drains at terrible speed, literally as you take a look on battery indicator. Then these faggots issued two 500 Mb updates trying fix this. Power management has upgraded. From "worst thing I ever seen" to "extremely bad". Bah, that's an achievement for sure!

And last but not least: Intel wi-fi sucks balls. That was absolutely worst wi-fi performance I even seen - even all these smartphones with no room for adequate antenna and resulting poor RF performance beat intel crap to the hell. Dear intel, your wireless ICs suck very hard! And 2.4GHz CPU? Hum, I wonder if you can kill such a horrible RF performance even harder by adding some extra interference in its operational band.

Actually, refund has been performed - Intel device proven to be unusable as tablet!!! It's not tablet at all - it got notebook-like power consumption. Really shitty standby/operational times compared to ARM tablets with same screen size and battery power and absolutely worst wi-fi performance I ever seen.

I'm pretty sure I do not need yet another piece of intel shit. It's like notebook without keyboard, not something like tablet at all.

Comment

does intel provide mir drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                    Second, atom is weirdest CPU I've ever seen. It both slow in speed and suxx at power consumption. It runs at ARM-like speed but does not minds to be power hog like all x86s.

I had chance to give a try to some Intel based tablet. It sucked really hard compared to similar ARM based device with comparable screen and battery capacity. It standby and especially operation time was no match to ARM based device at all! It gets warm even if no serious loads running. Battery drains at terrible speed, literally as you take a look on battery indicator. Then these faggots issued two 500 Mb updates trying fix this. Power management has upgraded. From "worst thing I ever seen" to "extremely bad". Bah, that's an achievement for sure!
                    You must have been quite unlucky with your choice. My Oak Trail tablet lasts for 10 hours straight when on normal workloads. On Windows, that is; it uses some proprietary screen technology that Linux doesn't know how to turn off, so on Linux it's quite a bit worse due to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X