No announcement yet.

Canonical's Latest Demo Of Ubuntu Unity 8 Convergence In Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the concept, but what I really want is an open smartphone where I can plug in an usb-stick or sd-card and use it to install e.g. Arch Linux. Then I can choose which window managers/compositors to install. Not all need to have the ability to change between desktop and mobile mode. I might want to have one for desktops (enlightenment), one for mobile (maybe unity, but preferably something wayland-based) and in the future one for VR (nothing there yet).

But this might be a good first step in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Nope. People bought it weeks ago. They still don't have their phone. If you can't just go to some online store any day of the week and just purchase one it's not really onsale or released in that market.
      The availability of the product online or on a certain market doesnt change the status of the product as shipped. You cant buy many products online at any time, nor in all markets, and yet everyone considers them shipped/available. Of course they still dont have their phone because they knew that phone ships in March, it was clearly stated and every buyer was aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        The availability of the product online or on a certain market doesnt change the status of the product as shipped. You cant buy many products online at any time, nor in all markets, and yet everyone considers them shipped/available. Of course they still dont have their phone because they knew that phone ships in March, it was clearly stated and every buyer was aware of it.
        Actually many found out only after buying one that they will have to wait a month to get their phone. At least in the first flash sale. That's why many canceled their orders afterwards. If nobody received the product you can hardly classify it as shipped. It has been presold. It is shipped when the product actually arrives at the customers house.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          not to diss on canonical or anything. it actually shows some promise, although i'm not even remotely interested in their approach for multitude of reasons

i just have to say i found it funny seeing "XMir supports Netflix". Netflix support is completely browser related and this equals to saying some car from Ferrari supports playing Metallica. it simply makes no sense at all
          It's a bit badly worded. When I first watched the video, I took it to mean that Google Chrome is working on XMir, which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Yeah except you could buy hardware with Wayland over a year ago and Mir still hasn't shipped on hardware. The bq phone doesn't count since I can't just buy it in the EU atm and even if I would participate in one of those "flash sales" I would get it sometime in March and not in 2-3 days. So it's more like a flash presale.
            One could argue that Mir has been on devices since 2013. I've had Ubuntu on my Nexus 7 for a long time now - granted it wasn't shipped, but it was available to the public to download and use.

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
              Does someone know how to start an application with XMir? X-Ubuntu-Touch=true makes an application like Libreoffice visible, but it doesn't start without XMir.
              Where do you specify X-Ubuntu-Touch?

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post
                One could argue that Mir has been on devices since 2013. I've had Ubuntu on my Nexus 7 for a long time now - granted it wasn't shipped, but it was available to the public to download and use.
                If you want to use that logic Wayland has been on devices since February 2012 (release of Weston 0.85)...
                Fact is no consumer has a device with Mir in his hands in the mean time tens of thousands Jolla Phones shipped and Wayland powers all LG webOS TVs.

Comment

Looking good!

As for me I like how they transition from tablet/fullscreen window to desktop/windowed mode. I would appreciate such features for sure, especially on some small devices using touch screen but capable of using external kbd/mouse/display.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post
                    It's a bit badly worded. When I first watched the video, I took it to mean that Google Chrome is working on XMir, which is a good thing.
                    based that we're talking about XMir, not Mir... Chrome not working would be one really, really sad thing since XMir is all about running apps targeting X.Org without needing modifications.

that bragging right is even more depressing when you connect it with http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUxMTA

Comment

this is a good thing

don't come with shit ppl, it's a good work by canonical and ubuntu community, they go with mir because they want and need to control the product

Comment

Working...
                      X