Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On The Core i3 NUC

Phoronix: 5-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On The Core i3 NUC

The latest Linux benchmarks for your viewing pleasure are a comparison of five Linux distributions tested on the new Intel Core i3 Broadwell NUC with a variety of performance tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With all five Linux distributions using the GCC 4.9 compiler and the 3.16~3.18 kernels with Intel P-State scaling driver, there wasn't a huge variation in the CPU-bound benchmarks.
    OpenSuse Tumbleweed is still on GCC 4.8

Comment

How about testing Mageia 5 beta3+ with the suggested fixes in

or is that not interesting ?

Comment

Originally posted by t_m_b View Post
        How about testing Mageia 5 beta3+ with the suggested fixes in

or is that not interesting ?
        Nomodeset? Then I lose out on graphics acceleration, so there goes more of the tests.

But in general when seeking to do out-of-the-box desktop comparisons, if it can't be easily done without jumping through hoops and spending time debugging issue with little ROI, then I pass on it for only having so much time in the day and way too much work to be done, can easily toss in another distribution, and in routinely doing these articles can always re-include a newer version of said problematic distro in future article.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Nomodeset? Then I lose out on graphics acceleration, so there goes more of the tests.
          Ah, no sorry, I should have been more specific.

I meant in comment 2 where I asked about updating the system, or atleast:
          x11-driver-video-intel-2.99.917-10.mga5
          ldetect-lst-0.1.338-1.mga5

and see if that does make it work automatically after a reboot
          if not, run XFdrake once to reconfigure the X server

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          But in general when seeking to do out-of-the-box desktop comparisons, if it can't be easily done without jumping through hoops and spending time debugging issue with little ROI, then I pass on it for only having so much time in the day and way too much work to be done, can easily toss in another distribution, and in routinely doing these articles can always re-include a newer version of said problematic distro in future article.

Yeah, I understand that time is always an issue, I have the same problem

Comment

I'm curious to see what the wireless performance of the Broadwell NUC is on Linux, now that there's a soldered-in Intel 7265 wireless module. Judging from what I've Googled, it looks like there have been some issues with 802.11n support causing the wireless connection to go wonk, and I'm curious to see whether that affects the NUC, or what Linux distributions may be affected by it.

Comment

Working...
            X