Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Talks Up The Carrizo APU At ISSCC

Phoronix: AMD Talks Up The Carrizo APU At ISSCC

AMD has released more details on their forthcoming "Carrizo" APUs from the IEEE International Solid-State CIrcuits Conference (ISSCC) in San Francisco...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Elder kernels will probably be supported by building an out-of-tree module, as for the catalyst or nvidia driver...

Comment

What HSA feature does Kaveri miss that Carrizo has?

Comment

I beleive it's that Carrizo has a southbridge integrated on the CPU die.

I am curious about the socket it might use, or if it's a BGA.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          With regards the difference between HSA Ready and Compliant, I asked AMD what made Kaveri different in that regard. The answer was straightforward enough: Carrizo is able to perform GPU context switching, allowing a GPU state-save and state-restore, something Kaveri is unable to do and offering a solid hint that Carrizo's GPU is based on AMD's GCN 1.2 architecture.
          Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8995/a...avator-details

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
            Full preemption of GPU tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
              Thank you.

Comment

Isn't the Carrizo chips going to be on laptops only for a while? Cause that would suck.

Comment

Yeah. Just like Broadwell is only available on laptops for a while. Highest margin, lower core-count, and its where today's demand is.

Comment

I think the exact statement is that there won't be a socketed part at launch (AFAIK that is because a new socket & mobo would be required due to increased integration) but I imagine it will show up in more than just laptops anyways.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X