AMD Talks Up The Carrizo APU At ISSCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think the exact statement is that there won't be a socketed part at launch (AFAIK that is because a new socket & mobo would be required due to increased integration) but I imagine it will show up in more than just laptops anyways.
    OK, cool. I imagine that eventually AMD will develop a new socket for chipsets with integrated southbridges. I am curious how they would layout the traces.

EDIT: I imagine a socketed design might still need a PCIe bridge in order to keep pincount down.
    Last edited by duby229; 24 February 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Chromebooks

I'd like to see these things end up in a Chromebook model. It would be nice actually to see any AMD processor end up in a Chromebook. I'm surprised AMD hasn't tapped that market by now.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        OK, cool. I imagine that eventually AMD will develop a new socket for chipsets with integrated southbridges. I am curious how they would layout the traces.

EDIT: I imagine a socketed design might still need a PCIe bridge in order to keep pincount down.
        Just to clarify, when I said "will show up in more than just laptops" that could be either by soldering the non-socketed part onto a mobo or by a new socket. One of the perverse things in this business is that as you integrate more stuff into a single chip the motherboard becomes simpler and so the benefit of a socket goes down.

Regarding amdgpu, it's probably obvious but it's going through the usual IP review/approval exercises so as usual you'll probably see it within 30 minutes of agd5f receiving final approval. It's a fairly big slug of IP (new HW generation etc..) so not a trivial exercise.
        Last edited by bridgman; 24 February 2015, 12:53 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

And where are the HSA Applications? Where are the ffmpeg patches for until the VCE? Why AMD stop working on libjpeg-turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I beleive it's that Carrizo has a southbridge integrated on the CPU die.

I am curious about the socket it might use, or if it's a BGA.
            Only BGA for now, for laptops and monoblocks.

Socketed version might show up in 2016, as low end offering complimenting Zen high end parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
              Only BGA for now, for laptops and monoblocks.
              Let us guess. Only in the Big ones with crappy display resolutions :/

AMD should build some reference devices that comes to the customer ...

Comment

I want to see "mini-PCs", cheap & powerful all-in-one systems using this... completely open-source, modifiable Android phones, tablets and stuff. Hopefully AMD and vendors won't also cripple them if this becomes reality :/

Instead of selling RAM modules, AMD should become a full distributor of consumer/specialized Linux devices...

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  I want to see "mini-PCs", cheap & powerful all-in-one systems using this... completely open-source, modifiable Android phones, tablets and stuff. Hopefully AMD and vendors won't also cripple them if this becomes reality :/

Instead of selling RAM modules, AMD should become a full distributor of consumer/specialized Linux devices...
                  Oh yeah, I agree 100%

An AMD aarch64 APU platform with a similar chipset they use for their low cost amd64 products. OSS driver support.... Sounds good. Real good.

Comment

Hmmm, something i don't understand quite well Carrizo is Excavator but Carrizo-L is Puma+, is that means radeon driver support for L, but amdgpu for non-L?

Let's go JB

edit: ah OK L is 2nd GCN Sea Islands so radeon, while non-L is the thing 3rd GCN Volcanic Islands

Carrizo-L sounds fine as AM1 update
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 February 2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I hope somebody will produce an ITX board with the highest speced part soldered on it. I don't care about a socketed version as long as a decent board (integrated wlan/BT/1GB network, 16x PCIe slot, 16GB ram support). I am looking for an all-round living-room PC and that would fit the requirements perfectly.

Otherwise a 4 module socketed version would be nice :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X