Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenshots Of The GNOME 3.16 Changes

Phoronix: Screenshots Of The GNOME 3.16 Changes

Over the past few months on Phoronix have been dozens of articles concerning the state of GNOME 3.16. For those wanting a visual walkthrough of the GNOME 3.16 changes, Matthias Clasen has provided a nice screenshot overview...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know, I'd like to see some rapid development of elementary OS. GNOME 3.16 is looking very good so far.

The reason why I'd like to see rapid development of elementary OS is because "when it's done, it's done" just don't cut it and I don't want to be forced into using LTS codebase when trying out elementary OS. I love to take advantage of all the bleeding edge software that is out there.

Comment

You could probably just install all the Elementary OS applications on arch. Here is a wiki-page on how to install the desktop component.

Comment

Now it's time for dozens of articles about KDE, don't you think? It's developed much more rapidly and its changes are far more interesting. Does gnome/red hat sponsor you?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Thanks for all the updates on GNOME. It is very interesting to follow Phoronix and Worldofgnome (at googleplus) these days. The development on GNOME seems faster and better than ever.

Looking forward to Fedora 22 Alpha in two weeks.
          As someone who reads gnome *.NEWS files I can assure you that developement is same as ever, its just phoronix decided he should make a GNOME post once a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Now it's time for dozens of articles about KDE, don't you think? It's developed much more rapidly and its changes are far more interesting. Does gnome/red hat sponsor you?
            If someone writes about KDE, they don't have to write about GNOME. Nor any other OS. Having the same amount of articles is also not needed.

GNOME just went in feature freeze, most of the features land around this time. As a result, more blog posts, more interesting things to tell. So currently it is an interesting time to write about GNOME because there's enough to announce. Then it'll quiet down until you have the same thing happening 6 months later.

I find the demand and conspiracy thinking very hasty. I'd prefer if you'd think for yourself a bit, what I explained is pretty easy to figure out by yourself.

Comment

What the f*** is this?! The best Gnome 3 version I ever used was 3.2. Gnome has turned into a desktop shell that has no more features than to browse through things. It looks like most applications have no functionality at all anymore. Just compare KDE's Dolphin to Nautilus.

At the end, making everything as simplistic as only possible makes it a lot harder to do any real stuff.

I actually liked the way Gnome 3 handles windows and applications, it was really inovative and new but in my opinion they have not made much process after all.

A puzzle application is really what we needed here, but alright that's foss

Comment

How a average user like me would know what applications are already started when i maximize Firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                  How a average user like me would know what applications are already started when i maximize Firefox?
                  I think according to the UX design if you maximize a window, you stop caring about what else is running and focus on what you're doing

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                    By moving mouse to to left corner and seeing all the open windows. Or ctrl+tab.

Or dash to dock extension. Or a multitude of other extensions that present the information in different ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X