Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZchip Announces 100 Core 64-bit ARM Chip

Phoronix: EZchip Announces 100 Core 64-bit ARM Chip

An Israeli company known as EZchip has introduced their TILE-Mx processors that ship in up to 100-core 64-bit ARM configurations with up to 200 Gigabit Ethernet throughput...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Following the link, one finds the cores are "ARMv8-A 64-bit ARM Cortex?-A53". These would be the little end of Nvidia's quad-core Tegra K1 ARM, the big end being ARM A57. So this 100-A53-core is targeted at dataserver and network applications, not HPC. But speaking of which, has anyone a clue as to when Nvidia will release a Tegra K1 Denver development kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Wikipedia
      In July 2014, Tilera was acquired by EZchip Semiconductor, a company that develops high-performance multi-core network processors, for $50 million in cash.
      This is Tilera technology. It was Tilera who developed the TILE series.

Comment

So that is what happened to the Tilera, they are replacing the custom vliw cores with A53s.

Comment

That many arm cores makes me think this is designed for deep packet inspection. Give the nature of the country and available acceleration hardware this might be the real use of this system.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
            But speaking of which, has anyone a clue as to when Nvidia will release a Tegra K1 Denver development kit?
            They won't. K1 is already old news for them.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              Following the link, one finds the cores are "ARMv8-A 64-bit ARM Cortex?-A53". These would be the little end of Nvidia's quad-core Tegra K1 ARM, the big end being ARM A57. So this 100-A53-core is targeted at dataserver and network applications, not HPC. But speaking of which, has anyone a clue as to when Nvidia will release a Tegra K1 Denver development kit?
              I believe K1 used 4 cortex-A15 + 1 cortex-A15.
              I think you mean X1, which isn't available yet. IIRC, sometime in the summer is the expected release.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                That many arm cores makes me think this is designed for deep packet inspection. Give the nature of the country and available acceleration hardware this might be the real use of this system.
                Most likely the "shallow" side of DPI (E.g. state-full smart routing, etc).
                With 100 cores, and 200Gbps, each ARM core has to handle 2Gbps of raw traffic, even if I somehow assume that the H/W load balancer is nearly perfect, doing full packet inspection (E.g. IPS/IDS, network A/V, UTM, forensics, etc) on 2Gbps of traffic requires far more CPU power than a measly A53.

P.S. I'm in the DPI market.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  P.S. I'm in the DPI market.
                  Que the pitchforks, assemble the lynch mob, etc.

Comment

What about cache coherency?

Comment

Working...
                    X