F22 Switch From Evdev & Synaptics To Libinput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Actually... If input is going to a game, disabling the touchpad while typing is wrong. In a game you want to be able to give mouse and keyboard input simultaneously. The best way to handle this would be for applications to say "I don't want you to block input for this [window/application]" much like the powermanagement protocol that prevents automatic screen dimming and locking while a video is playing.
    Note that libinput is not disabling the touchpad while you type, we do not have the feature because we've (hopefully) reliable palm detection.

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
      Note that libinput is not disabling the touchpad while you type, we do not have the feature because we've (hopefully) reliable palm detection.
      As long as you don't expect it to be perfect, sounds good. I've yet to see palm detection that never makes mistakes. Good enough is certainly doable

Comment

Hi,

One of the upstream libinput devs here.

So for those of you having trouble with 2 finger scrolling, I assume the problem is that the scrolling is too fast, correct ?
        What about the regular pointer speed, is that ok, or too fast too? And for noth are they slightly too fast, or much too fast ?

As for people not being able to configure things, if your on an up2date Fedora 22 snapshot and using gnome / kde
        you should be able to enable / disable tap to click by just using the config panel. If you're not on F-22 you can still
        configure things from the commandline, e.g. do:

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput list
        ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
        ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
        ⎜ ↳ USB OPTICAL MOUSE id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
        ⎜ ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
        ⎜ ↳ SINO WEALTH USB Composite Device id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
        ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SINO WEALTH USB Composite Device id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio DAC id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]

And then:

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput list-props 8
        Device ' USB OPTICAL MOUSE':
        Device Enabled (132): 1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (134): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        libinput Accel Speed (264): -0.469058
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (265): 0
        libinput Send Events Modes Available (250): 1, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (251): 0, 0
        libinput Left Handed Enabled (266): 0
        libinput Scroll Methods Available (267): 0, 0, 1
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled (268): 0, 0, 0
        libinput Button Scrolling Button (269): 0
        Device Node (252): "/dev/input/event5"
        Device Product ID (253): 5593, 2639

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput set-float-prop 8 "libinput Accel Speed" -1

And now I've configured my mouse to the slowest setting, the accel scale goes from -1.0 to +1.0 with 0.0 being the default.

You can enable tap to click in a similar manner.

Regards,

Hans
        Thanks. I'm on Arch with the latest stable Gnome and could not configure my touchpad with libinput via the system settings.
        I was able to enable Tap to Click with xinput. The pointer is a little bit faster than with xf86-input-synaptics, but it's not unusable. If I had switched from libinput to synaptics I would probably think that synaptics is too slow.
        It is more noticeable with the two finger scrolling which easily overshoots.

Accel Speed -0.3 feels like synaptics but scrolling doesn't seem to be affected.
        Last edited by blackout23; 25 February 2015, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Another thing I noticed is that I often switch between my ring finger and middle finger on my touch pad and use both for two finger scrolling. When I let go the pointer sometimes jumps to the the position of one of the fingers. I don't think that happens that much with synaptics.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Thanks. I'm on Arch with the latest stable Gnome and could not configure my touchpad with libinput via the system settings.
            I was able to enable Tap to Click with xinput. The pointer is a little bit faster than with xf86-input-synaptics, but it's not unusable. If I had switched from libinput to synaptics I would probably think that synaptics is too slow.

Accel Speed -0.3 feels like synaptics but scrolling doesn't seem to be affected.
            Thanks for the feedback, I'm happy to hear that you like the new default pointer speed, we were worried a bit about that ourselves but I had the feeling that synaptics is too slow myself, so it is good to hear that you like the new pointer speed.

As for the 2fg scrolling speed, I can see what you mean there it feels too fast for me too, I'm not sure if this is a libinput problem or a problem with the translation we do from libinput events to X events in xf86-input-libinput. I'll discuss this with Peter Hutterer and we'll see from there.

Note that the "Accel Speed" should influence scrolling speed too, but the scrolling speed indeed seems way too fast so probably it just does not help much.

Another thing I noticed is that I often switch between my ring finger and middle finger on my touch pad and use both for two finger scrolling. When I let go the pointer sometimes jumps to the the position of one of the fingers. I don't think that happens that much with synaptics.
            That is a known bug which we're working on fixing at the kernel level. The problem is that a touchpad only scans the surface for fingers aprox 30 times / second, so if you lift one finger and put down another really quick, the touchpad firmware will think it is the same finger and that you've moved it really really fast, we see this fast move and then move the pointer accordingly. The old synaptics driver has this issue too btw, although it could indeed be harder to trigger there.

We've a kernel patch-set in the pipeline where the kernel will detect fingers jumping over a certain threshold (know as the moving insanely fast threshold ) and when the kernel sees this it will send a lift for the old touch and start a new touch.

Regards,

Hans

Comment

@AnAkIn
              @hansdegoede

Thank you for your input! I checked xinput output and AccelSpeed is indeed -1 as set in .conf, however mouse pointer is still too fast, I can move pointer across whole screen with just 2cm of physical mouse movement. I tried multiplying CTM by a coefficient but it doesn't affect pointer speed.

Comment

I hope it will be possible to completely disable acceleration/deceleration. With AccelSpeed = -1 I still experience what I think is adaptive deceleration. When I move the mouse very slowly the pointer starts moving even slower. Evdev for me until then.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  @AnAkIn
                  @hansdegoede

Thank you for your input! I checked xinput output and AccelSpeed is indeed -1 as set in .conf, however mouse pointer is still too fast, I can move pointer across whole screen with just 2cm of physical mouse movement. I tried multiplying CTM by a coefficient but it doesn't affect pointer speed.
                  You likely have a high dpi mouse then, please read: http://who-t.blogspot.nl/2014/12/bui...-for-mice.html and submit a patch to make the dpi known to libinput, that should fix things.

Regards,

Hans

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by justanarcher View Post
                    I hope it will be possible to completely disable acceleration/deceleration. With AccelSpeed = -1 I still experience what I think is adaptive deceleration. When I move the mouse very slowly the pointer starts moving even slower. Evdev for me until then.
                    libinput provides both accelerated an unaccelerated delta x/y for each event, but Xorg has no notion of this, so we only forward the accelerated deltas to the X server.

Can you please file a RFE bug for your use-case here:

And please explain the use-case for which you need to be able to completely disable acceleration.

We've just committed a patch fixing 2fg scrolling speed, if you've a chance please try the latest xf86-input-libinput git master code and let us know if this fixes the too sensitive scrolling speed for you: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...ae80057f39508e

Thanks & Regards,

Hans

Comment

Hi,

libinput provides both accelerated an unaccelerated delta x/y for each event, but Xorg has no notion of this, so we only forward the accelerated deltas to the X server.

Can you please file a RFE bug for your use-case here:

And please explain the use-case for which you need to be able to completely disable acceleration.

We've just committed a patch fixing 2fg scrolling speed, if you've a chance please try the latest xf86-input-libinput git master code and let us know if this fixes the too sensitive scrolling speed for you: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...ae80057f39508e

Thanks & Regards,

Hans
                      Sorry for the late reply I was pretty busy. With the commit the scrollling is good! I also quickly dd'ed a F22 nighty image onto a USB to test it on Wayland and I'm perfectly happy. I was able to set "Tap to Click" and "Pointer Speed" in Gnome Settings and two finger scrolling was just as good as on X. The only issue remaining issue is the pointer jumping. I tried to replicate it with xf86-input-synaptic and it is impossible to get the same behavior when having two fingers on the pad and then releasing one.

Comment

Working...
                      X