No announcement yet.

Radeon HD4870 & Catalyst 8.6 => system freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kano, Chris, thanks to the two of you! Last night I took out one of my RAMs and after that xorg was indeed working with the ATi driver. So I tried your script Chris and it did the trick. Thanks again!

However, since I don't play games on Linux and Compiz effects are working just fine with the vesa driver I decided to stick with it for the time being.

Now I "only" have to figure out how to set my resolution at 1152x864 @ 100Hz. With my nVidia card this was just a simple matter of generating a modeline with gtf 1152x864 100 and editing the xorg.conf. But not so with the Radeon anymore (of course not! ...).

If you lads have any ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

Comment

My card gets _really_ hot using the vesa driver. I think it uses a lot less power with fglrx, due to PowerPlay or something. So that might be a big factor to consider.

Comment

Yeah, that's true. The card get's pretty warm. But I thought PowerPlay (or whatever their new power saving technology iss called) doesn't work with their Linux driver yet?

Okay, will give the fglrx driver another try tonight...

Comment

I don't know the reason, I just know that using the VESA driver, my heatsink gets really hot (I have an aftermarket, Accelero S1 Rev.2 on it) and with fglrx is stays only slightly warm. Also, this appears in my X.log.0:

Code:
          (II) fglrx(0): Enable the clock gating!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
            Originally posted by Janusz11
            Its xorg-server 1.4.0.90 (Zenwalk at least).
            That is a pre-release of X Server 1.5, which isn't quite yet supported by the fglrx driver.
            No. It is a pre-release of Xserver 1.4.1, which has been used by many distributions for several months.

Comment

Working...
            X