Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Log-In Screen Will Still Work Without Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME's Log-In Screen Will Still Work Without Wayland

With the just-released GNOME 3.16 Beta there's a switch to use Wayland by default for the GDM log-in screen. For those wondering what this means to those using binary blob graphics drivers on your systems or in cases where Wayland isn't working, fear not...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GNOME's Log-In Screen Will Still Work Without Wayland

With the just-released GNOME 3.16 Beta there's a switch to use Wayland by default for the GDM log-in screen. For those wondering what this means to those using binary blob graphics drivers on your systems or in cases where Wayland isn't working, fear not...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-Wayland-Fall

and whitout systemd?

Comment

I'm glad to see Wayland starting to be used officially in such an important distro.
      I'm not sure about that, but can we expect to not have flickering at startup once we'll have the full Wayland stack?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        I'm not sure about that, but can we expect to not have flickering at startup once we'll have the full Wayland stack?
        I do think so, at least Mir claims that and Wayland should be able to do the same thing. However I'm not sure they will be able to fix grub>plymouth flicker :/

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          I do think so, at least Mir claims that and Wayland should be able to do the same thing. However I'm not sure they will be able to fix grub>plymouth flicker :/
          no it wont, plymouth is server-independent

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            no it wont, plymouth is server-independent
            who needs plymouth when your system boots in 2sec's

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
              actually in my laptop with an ssd i have removed plymouth 2 days ago but most people have an hdd taking 30-60 seconds to boot
              but in my laptop it takes 6 seconds not 2

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                actually in my laptop with an ssd i have removed plymouth 2 days ago
                i did it because a bug in manjaro kernel 3.14 and lower plymouth doesnt work correctly and in 3.15 and higher touchpad doesnt work correctly on my acer aspire e5-571 (everything was the same with the hdd)

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
                  Good question actually. What do you people use instead? Just black screen?
                  Is it possible to conf grub to show my background picture and let it stay during the boot process?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                    Good question actually. What do you people use instead? Just black screen?
                    Output from init. I always thought that plymouth'y things are eye candy niche and used by few people.

Comment

Working...
                    X