No announcement yet.

GNOME's Log-In Screen Will Still Work Without Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had to disable Plymouth on my Manjaro, because the process wasn't stopped once GDM was atarted up. It was consuming 10% of my CPU in the background.

But I do think Plymouth adds a lot of user-friendlyness to Linux and I think it's a must have for any modern *desktop* OS. I understand that some people doesn't need it for their server or because they have the most powerful PC in the world and they won't even see the splashscreen, but for the vast majority of linux desktop users that don't have SSDs, splashscreen is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      but for the vast majority of linux desktop users that don't have SSDs, splashscreen is a good thing.
      Please elaborate.

Comment

Plymouth is more than just eye candy

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
        who needs plymouth when your system boots in 2sec's
        Plymouth is a boot-time I/O multiplexer. This is particularly important on init systems like systemd or upstart where services are dynamic and started in parallel. There's a great deal more information about this provided here: http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/bl..._a_bootsplash/

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
          and whitout systemd?
          See https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/ConsoleKit. We discussed this on distributor-list, which we expect anyone distributing GNOME to be subscribed to. In addition, we're linking to this page from the gdm ./configure script. I'm planning to write this also up in a blogpost.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            GDM on Wayland is perfect way to test before Wayland is enabled by default for the entire GNOME desktop. Fedora 22 will be awesome.
            Fedora 23 will be even more awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              Good question actually. What do you people use instead? Just black screen?
              I remember a hack from 2005, where a KDE user used a screenshot of his desktop, straight from bootloader, with auto-login and < 10s boot time. It looked like instant boot that was unresponsive like Windows for a few secs, lol.

Comment

where can i get a live iso with gnome 3.15+ and wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                  where can i get a live iso with gnome 3.15+ and wayland?

Comment

Working...
                  X