LLVM Clang Compiling The Linux Kernel Is A Big Topic For 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It's not about complacency, but number of supported architectures, matureness and wide range of software which is compiled by GCC. No other compiler is even close to it.
    But it has the wrong ideology. If it lures young developers into communism, it's better to stick with closed source commercial compilers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      But it has the wrong ideology. If it lures young developers into communism, it's better to stick with closed source commercial compilers instead.
      I think this deserves nomination as funniest troll this week

Comment

Change and experimentation are both good, try new things. I think compiling the kernel with clang instead of gcc should be thoroughly tested for differences in build quality. This would take time, but it would give us an answer to which compiler is better for the job as is. And as the article said, it's gonna be interesting if the kernel code is compatible with two different compilers, so some distros might use a gcc compiled kernel and others llvm/clang based kernel. Maybe some (like arch and gentoo) will allow the user to choose. In the end, it's gonna be more choices for us users if this will go through.

It doesn't mean one compiler is better than the other, it just means one compiler is better for this kind of project than the other. I am kinda rooting for llvm/clang here, I suspect that it would come out on top, if this were tested.
        Last edited by rabcor; 22 February 2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Well GCC might force you to open source your code by propagating copyleft thoughts and force you to eat your toenails in a public event.
          To be nitpicky, it wasn't toenails, it was a piece of his heel/forefoot skin. Mmmmmmm, yummy!

Comment

This would be a noteworthy change that would justify to jump to kernel version 5.0.

Comment

compile GCC with clang

I would like to see someone submit patches to compile GCC using clang.

Certain someone would engage in nervous toe jelly binging and start drafting a new license to prevent llvm-ization and protect our "freedom".

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
                I would like to see someone submit patches to compile GCC using clang.

Certain someone would engage in nervous toe jelly binging and start drafting a new license to prevent llvm-ization and protect our "freedom".
                No need to patch anything, clang can build GCC (for quite some time already).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe1 View Post
                  No need to patch anything, clang can build GCC (for quite some time already).
                  Buzz kill. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X