Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports Double-Precision Floating-Point Data Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports Double-Precision Floating-Point Data Types

Phoronix: Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports Double-Precision Floating-Point Data Types

Nouveau (NVC0) Gallium3D now supports the GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 extension. What's exciting about this enablement is that it's a feature for OpenGL 4.0 / GLSL 4.00 compliance and this Nouveau driver support is beating out the Intel and Radeon drivers in providing this OpenGL capability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now NVIDIA is gonna hate nouveau even more, since doubleprecision performance is intentionally crippled in proprietary driver for GeForce, so that Tesla and Quadro would sell. This patch is threat to their proprietary bussines model.

Btw, what about reclocking and Maxwell support ?

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
      Now NVIDIA is gonna hate nouveau even more, since doubleprecision performance is intentionally crippled in proprietary driver for GeForce, so that Tesla and Quadro would sell. This patch is threat to their proprietary bussines model.

Btw, what about reclocking and Maxwell support ?
      Not just yet...
      while this is good there still much work needed for good dpm and steam still only sees 256MB vram while my gpu has 1GB.

Nouveau already completly destroys nvidia blob for 2d but its nowhere near the blob for 3d i can even launch dota2 yet let alone play it with decent fps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
        Not just yet...
        while this is good there still much work needed for good dpm and steam still only sees 256MB vram while my gpu has 1GB.

Nouveau already completly destroys nvidia blob for 2d but its nowhere near the blob for 3d i can even launch dota2 yet let alone play it with decent fps.
        dota2 runs fine here with nouveau, it's only somewhat slow during scrolling and above moderate battles (GTX760)

yeah, 2d is abysmal on the proprietary nvidia driver

e.g. using fading of inactive windows with kwin when the active windows is konsole and a compilation going on it stutters and/or the GPU runs full blown and is getting rather warm

whereas with nouveau (not using re-clocking or the mid setting) it's buttery smooth and keeps really cool

Comment

i965 and nvc0 are now fighting for the first place (http://mesamatrix.net/)

Comment

Hm, looks like most of this was already done in July 2014, I wonder what happened to it.

Comment

The 256MB vram is a mesa thing. Its the same with my 7870.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                Now NVIDIA is gonna hate nouveau even more, since doubleprecision performance is intentionally crippled in proprietary driver ?
                They also crippled Linux driver to be as bad as windows one when it comes to number of monitors it supports. Though without reclocking support nouveau isn't real replacement to blob. Because lack of reclocking means laughable performance. Most Nvidia users I know do not seriously consider using nouveau due to reclocking issues. IMO that's #1 showstopper of nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  i965 and nvc0 are now fighting for the first place (http://mesamatrix.net/)
                  Still too much red for my taste. . .
                  If i were a billionaire i would hire 10 guys dedicated solely for Linux graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Still too much red for my taste. . .
                    If i were a billionaire i would hire 10 guys dedicated solely for Linux graphics drivers.
                    I'm *really* hoping that the entire of Intel are off working on OpenGLNext. They were doing so well up until August last year, then they seem to have just stopped - they didn't even get to finishing OpenGL ES 3.1

Comment

Working...
                    X