64bit distro + ndiswrapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64bit distro + ndiswrapper

I have been trying many distro's as of late. I have decent experience with linux been using it since the turn of the century.

My question here to hopefully save me some time is that I need a x86_64 bit distro that has ndiswrapper out of the box. Even the latest madwifi will work as well. I would prefer ndiswrapper though as that doesn't drop my connection every 10-30min.

So... if anyone knows of a x86_64 bit distro that has ndiswrapper or even madwifi out of the box, let me know please.

Most of the distro's that get working are 32bit mandriva one 2008.1 has madwifi out of the box and it works long enough for me to grab the ndiswrapper from there repo usually. Unfortunately there 64bit distro doesn't include madwifi....

Yes yes, I could grab all the packages I need and all that jazz before I install a specific distro but for me that's just a headache I am no longer willing to put up with.

Originally posted by MNKyDeth View Post
    I have been trying many distro's as of late. I have decent experience with linux been using it since the turn of the century.

My question here to hopefully save me some time is that I need a x86_64 bit distro that has ndiswrapper out of the box. Even the latest madwifi will work as well. I would prefer ndiswrapper though as that doesn't drop my connection every 10-30min.

So... if anyone knows of a x86_64 bit distro that has ndiswrapper or even madwifi out of the box, let me know please.

Most of the distro's that get working are 32bit mandriva one 2008.1 has madwifi out of the box and it works long enough for me to grab the ndiswrapper from there repo usually. Unfortunately there 64bit distro doesn't include madwifi....

Yes yes, I could grab all the packages I need and all that jazz before I install a specific distro but for me that's just a headache I am no longer willing to put up with.
    I believe opensuse 11 does have ndiswrapper already in 32 and 64-bit form as well as the madwifi repo has builds for 32 and 64-bit. Remember when dealing with ndiswrapper on a 64 bit linux you have to use the 64-bit windows drivers to get it functioning.

Comment

Thnx for the input. Honestly I probably should have tried suse a long time ago and guess I will be giving it a go here shortly once it finishes downloading.

I'm not exactly sure how Linux works in a sense with ram mapping. But as I am looking to move to a vid card with >512mb ram and already having 4gigs system memory I am pushing myself to go 64bit as of lately so I can start getting the benefits of my hardware.

Wish I could be on a wired network, it's jsut not possible with my current network setup.

On a different subject I do very much hate waiting for game level loading in between maps and such. I have been considering moving upto 8gigs total/max ram and making 4gigs of the system memory into a ramdisk to put my games on when I play them. My gigabyte I-ram is nice as I have really noticed a difference in my load times.

/dev/sdb:
      Timing cached reads: 6766 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3386.60 MB/sec
      Timing buffered disk reads: 342 MB in 3.02 seconds = 113.41 MB/sec

But with 4gigs system ram dedicated as a ramdisk I hope/believe I can reduce the load times even further. Also when compiling stuff doing them on the I-ram and I would believe system ram would greatly speed up the compile.

Comment

Ubuntu 64bit Hardy also supports ndiswrapper out of the box. You need to install it when you've booted the livecd though (through synaptic).

Comment

Working...
        X