Qualcomm Announces Four New Snapdragon Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post
    Interressant point of view. But due to complexity of coding, multi-threaded softwares are rares in general, and even more on tablets and smartphones.
    LOL.
    Android makes it practically *IMPOSSIBLE* to write single-threaded software. Virtually all Android software IS multi-threaded. Any that isn't, whoever wrote it went to great lengths to avoid it. As far as complexity goes, quite the opposite. From a software complexity point of view, using multiple threads adds a little bit to the complexity, but removes a LOT of complexity, especially when you're dealing with anything timer based. Overall, it is a LOT easier to write multi-threaded software.

Why? Well you need something to keep a database in sync with a server? You write a thread that does that and set it running.
    You need to make changes to the display, you add it to the display thread (this is a thread that Android FORCES down your throat).
    The user presses a button and you need to do something without interrupting the pretty pictures on the display, you do it in a new thread. If you try to do it on the UI thread, it will complain very loudly, and will even tell the END USER that you did it wrong. That will make YOU look very foolish (and not to mention, your UI will be stopping).

I hear the multi-processor power myth since 20 years and excepted for dedicated servers with specific softwares multi_procing improves really poorly speed and usage.

How many people buy 8 cores i7 to play games and get the same results than a i3 with 2 cores ? A lot.
    How many people buy 48 cores servers while their memory or hard drives are huge bottlenecks ? A lot.
    I can't respond to ANY of this, because your grammar is SO BAD that I can't understand what (if any) point you are trying to make.

I agree that 8 cores are a big step and could make miracles with a lot of work, but considering the costs and the short development time nowadays I bet you would not see the difference between 8 cores and 2 cores for a mobile or tablet usage with actual apps.
    That's hilarious. And also invalid.

Comment

And more:
      I think it is probably important to explain one very important piece of information to you; MULTI-THREADING pre-dates MULTI-PROCESSOR COMPUTERS. Its purpose is to SIMPLIFY software. It gives you the freedom to do things in different threads, to keep the work of one thread distinct from the work of another. It is a necessary ORGANIZATIONAL tool. It prevents your brain from exploding with untraceable overyly complicated processing threads.

I wonder if you have yet figured out that I am REALLY getting tired of the myth that multi-threaded software is difficult or complicated.
      IT IS EASY AND SIMPLY!

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        You need only to look at the efficiency of Apple's A8 SoC to recognise that big.LITTLE is a failed experiment and they should change course.
        Apple? Efficiency? What are you smoking?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I only wish Qualcomm's hardware was more open(-source friendly). But that's not very likely to happen.
          Could be worse.... could be like any other company. Qualcomm is one of the MOST friendly hardware vendors. Yes, there are some blobs (as ALL have...), and their code may mostly not get included in upstream kernels, AND their code may be somewhat disorganized, BUT, they DO provide all of the kernel source required to run their hardware, and even the vast majority of the userspace code.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            LOL.
            Android makes it practically *IMPOSSIBLE* to write single-threaded software. Virtually all Android software IS multi-threaded. Any that isn't, whoever wrote it went to great lengths to avoid it. As far as complexity goes, quite the opposite. From a software complexity point of view, using multiple threads adds a little bit to the complexity, but removes a LOT of complexity, especially when you're dealing with anything timer based. Overall, it is a LOT easier to write multi-threaded software.

Why? Well you need something to keep a database in sync with a server? You write a thread that does that and set it running.
            You need to make changes to the display, you add it to the display thread (this is a thread that Android FORCES down your throat).
            The user presses a button and you need to do something without interrupting the pretty pictures on the display, you do it in a new thread. If you try to do it on the UI thread, it will complain very loudly, and will even tell the END USER that you did it wrong. That will make YOU look very foolish (and not to mention, your UI will be stopping).

I can't respond to ANY of this, because your grammar is SO BAD that I can't understand what (if any) point you are trying to make.

That's hilarious. And also invalid.
            You just mistake service-based software (which interacts with others threads or the system) with multi-threaded softwares (which run several processes by themself and manage interactions).

(And yes, English is not my 1st language, sorry for that. But I think a majority of readers understand them.)

Comment

Am I the only one thinking an octa-core on a mobile phone is dumb and useless ?
              no, there are other stupid people like you.
              more cores is the only way to improve performance - one faster core will be much more power hungry.
              apps can use several cores or you can run several apps simultaneously

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                I think 4+4 cores is stupid waste of die space, it is better to use 1 small core and 4 big ones.
                1) 4+4 can bee seen from software side as 4 cores with additional ultra-low-frequency states, i.e. it makes sheduling easier.
                2) (especially small) cores barely take any die space
                you should thing better

Comment

But due to complexity of coding, multi-threaded softwares are rares in general
                  all real software is multi-threaded

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    You need only to look at the efficiency of Apple's A8 SoC
                    what android version have you tested on a8?(no, you can't run different software and pull conclusions out of your ass)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      what android version have you tested on a8?(no, you can't run different software and pull conclusions out of your ass)
                      What iOS version have you tested on snapdragon? etc

Comment

Working...
                      X