No announcement yet.

Systemd Gets An Fsck Daemon/Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The development is mainly by red hat, you recive some patches from other corps but nothing more than that. The project vision and obtjetives are from red hat...

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
      I doub it, systemd is developed by Red Hat Corpotate. And those guys does not care about desktop/notebook...
      The next moron. Which is the only fully open source company with capitalization over 1 billion dollars, and increasing...Red Hat.
      What is the company behind Fedora, and even Michael promoted Fedora 21 for his main Desktop...Red Hat.
      Who is the biggest funders for nouveau project ( so you can use nvidia on your Desktop ) ... Red Hat.

Yes, they are completely supportive to Desktop...

Comment

The development is mainly by red hat, you recive some patches from other corps but nothing more than that. The project vision and obtjetives are from red hat...
        There are a lot of non red-had devolopers even with commit access.

see myth #27: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

27. Myth: systemd is a Red-Hat-only project, is private property of some smart-ass developers, who use it to push their views to the world.

Not true. Currently, there are 16 hackers with commit powers to the systemd git tree. Of these 16 only six are employed by Red Hat. The 10 others are folks from ArchLinux, from Debian, from Intel, even from Canonical, Mandriva, Pantheon and a number of community folks with full commit rights. And they frequently commit big stuff, major changes. Then, there are 374 individuals with patches in our tree, and they too came from a number of different companies and backgrounds, and many of those have way more than one patch in the tree.

[..]

But in general, yes, some of the more influental contributors of systemd work for Red Hat, but they are in the minority, and systemd is a healthy, open community with different interests, different backgrounds, just unified by a few rough ideas where the trip should go, a community where code and its design counts, and certainly not company affiliation.
        That stats were from January 2013. Some Developers have been _hired_ since then by Red Hat, because they were working on systemd already. And others have joined the effort. So yes, red hat is throwing in money to push development of useful software that can run on any distro and is fine with giving out commit access to others who care. Does not sound like either a lockin strategy, nor that this means only things get added that Red Hat cares about.

Comment

This is good work. Ubuntu already had this feature, I don't know if it is implemented in Upstart or some other way, but when there is fsck going on during boot up process, there is progress in plymoth and cancel option.

Comment

systemd = less money

I can't shake the feeling, that all the drama about systemd is caused by people who make their living by keeping the current SysV and peripheral cruft running on Linux, by writing copious amounts of shell scripts to plaster over the deficiencies.

systemd removes their raison d'etre, as it replaces a dumb init system that needs smart scripts, with a smart init that needs dumb unit files. It represents a lowering of the barrier to entry and that will in turn mean that Linux admins will not be able to command as high premiums as they used to.

Comment

I doub it, systemd is developed by Red Hat Corpotate. And those guys does not care about desktop/notebook...
              Red Hat very much care about desktop, what they don't care is consumer desktop. They are not after home users because there is no money to be made there. They care about corporate desktop and workstation market, which is little more demanding in some aspects, but a lot more uniform and easier to support. And way more profitable, which is most important. Red Hat recently posted a bunch of job oferings for desktop-oriented jobs, requiring Wayland skills, driver writing and kernel hacking skills and stuff like that. Doesn't sound to me like they are not interested in client side. I saw some pretty big corporate deployments of RHEL Desktop and RHEL Workstation, they are making money there, and anyway, without having slice of Workstation and Desktop market, it is hard to even grow in server market, as UNIX vendors are learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                I second this, Linux desperately needs more standardization. Personally, I am desperately waiting for when developers, and not distro maintainers, manage the packaging for their applications. Just the other day I was informed that OpenSUSE ships a misconfigured version of my application that strips out an important feature, and this has been going on for years. Each distro make its own assumptions and it's a constant nightmare. I have another distro that wanted to rename my library and break apps that depend on it. We need something like systemd for the software management world.
                GNU Guix. OSTree.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  I dare say we are getting fscked by all these additions to the already not so slim systemd.
                  We are geting fscked in the backside with all this stuff being baked into systemd. Seems Lennart's gone off the deep end haha

Can we turn off such added options by merely editing some config file?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    Can we turn off such added options by merely editing some config file?
                    Sure, not using the mostly optional daemons and services is easy. A simple:
                    Code:
                    systemctl disable <unwanted service>
                    disables a service at boot. If you want to make sure that it is not pulled in by dependency:
                    Code:
                    systemctl mask <unwanted service>
                    For example, if you prefer say NetworkManager or wicd, you can disable networkd simply with:
                    Code:
                    systemctl disable systemd-networkd
                    if it was enabled by your distro in the first place.

And as it has been stated very often before: you can also disable most of the additional daemons and utilities at compile time, if you do not even want the binaries lying around. Just tell the configure script what to include and what not, you can build yourself a very minimal systemd install. It is a simple as
                    Code:
                    ./configure --disable-timesyncd
                    if you for example do not want to build systemd-timesyncd, because you already use ntpd or what ever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                      As best I can tell, dmd and Guix are half-baked copies of Upstart and Nix. I don't see that they're really bringing anything new to the table here.
                      Guix and dmd are under active, rapid development at this point, so "half-baked" is a bit of a glass-half-empty statement. They aren't feature complete, but they've got a strong development team and a solid roadmap.

The dmd project was started 3 years prior to Upstart's first release, and then laid dormant for about 7-8 years until the Guix project got started. So it would be inaccurate to refer to dmd as a "copy" of Upstart. The reverse might be true. And Guix is at most a fork of Nix, since it is being rewritten using Guile, and the methods have changed significantly from Nix.

Comment

Working...
                      X