Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes Already For Linux 3.20 (Linux 4.0?) Are Very Exciting

Phoronix: Changes Already For Linux 3.20 (Linux 4.0?) Are Very Exciting

While we don't yet know whether the next kernel version is Linux 3.20 or Linux 4.0, what we do know is that this next Linux kernel revision will contain a lot of exciting updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think live kernel patching is worth the version bump to 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      I think live kernel patching is worth the version bump to 4.0
      Which is why I don't trust it at all.

This is a complex matter and judging by step-by--step painful staggering of open-source projects, this is an area where we can expect to hear about catastrophic failures at least in the short-to-medium run.

I know kernel crowd has good, solid track record, which is especially impressive, given how big the project is and I appreciate financial interest that stands behind such features.

In spite of that, I think it would be prudent to avoid this facility on anything that you depend on, at least for a while...

All in all, other updates are not that "exciting". Patch here, update there etc. It's nice to see overlayfs upgraded with possibility of multiple read-only layers, allthough I haven't been yet in a situation to actually find real use for it.
      But I plan to, in near future, with my own bootable USB stick and DVD/BD...

OTOH, I am patiently waiting for kdbus, but that will have to wait for 3.21 or later...

Comment

Is live patching any better than ksplice? I witnessed broken servers runing Oracle linux that worked after patching with ksplice but after reboot went completely b0rked with no way to recover at all.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66
          Radeon SMC CI/SI fan support is missing off that list.
          I didn't mention all the DRM changes yet since the DRM pull request hasn't yet been sent in.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yes I know about that merge into DRM-Next as already covered on Phoronix, but for this article was talking mainly about changes pulled (or called for pulling) into Linus' Git tree in the first week of the merge window. Next week when merged there will cover it again.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder what's in it for AMD Kaveri APU? Nothing too exciting for Linux 3.20 as it used to be for Linux 3.13 kernel and later versions up until 3.18.

And one question: How do I enable Gallium 9 for Wine? I'm using Wine 1.7.35 with support for PulseAudio and Maarten Lankhorst's multimedia patches installed from AUR. I'm going back to open source from Catalyst due to stuttering frames/jerkiness in Portal 2. The reason why I play Portal 2 in Wine is due to a lack of surround sound support in Linux.

Comment

Disabling Portal 2's multicore rendering worked, although I do get a bit of stuttering while shooting portals and going through them. Not something that I get with the native version of Portal 2, but then I went way too off-topic about Linux 3.20/4.0.

Comment

Working...
                X