Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP @n

Phoronix: ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP @n

Last October we had looked at the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe motherboard that was designed around the Intel X38 Chipset and it had arrived with its share of ASUS innovations such as ASUS AI Lifestyle, Crystal Sound, and EZ DIY. In addition, this was the first motherboard on the market to feature DeviceVM's SplashTop, or Express Gate as it's called on the ASUS motherboards. Today at Phoronix we are looking at the updated version of the P5E3 Deluxe, which is now called the P5E3 Premium. The ASUS P5E3 Premium is similar to the earlier Deluxe model but is now engineered around Intel's newer X48 Chipset.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the Premium variant has the advantage of (...) ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit)
    Does this mean ASUS EPU works in Linux? I'd be happy to see it tested then

If it's a Windows-only feature though, I don't really see why it's an advantage.

Comment

Hi hi
      Not to be picky, but it says:

"the Premium variant has the advantage of DDR2-2000MHz support in an overclock mode" , that might confuse some folks as it's DDR3 only.

Also the part about the wireless card is kind of incomplete:

"everything with the ASUS P5E3 Premium had worked with Linux, aside from the AzureWave AW-NA830 and needing to use ndiswrapper for this route. However, within SplashTop the wireless adapter is supported without needing to use this NDIS approach."

The driver on the CD didn't work for me with the latest 2.6.x kernels, but the latest version on the vendors website does:

I used the wpa_supplicant modded source in that bzipped tarball along with the driver source, I'm posting this using the wireless on the mobo.

( ~/ralink/WPA_Supplicant )=-=( 06:11 AM )=-=( root@quad )
      : ./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
      Trying to associate with 00:1b:5b:81:09:41 (SSID='2WIRE326' freq=2412 MHz)
      attrlen=80
      rta_type=0b
      attrlen=44
      rta_type=0b
      WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:1b:5b:81:09:41 [PTK=TKIP GTK=TKIP]
      CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:00:00:00:00:00 completed (auth) [id=0 id_str=]

: iwconfig ra0
      ra0 RT2870 Wireless ESSID:"2WIRE326" Nickname:"RT2870STA"
      Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:1B:5B:81:09:41
      Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
      RTS thrff Fragment thrff
      Encryption key:6F21-C097-36C1-3AD5-376D-1C46-D8A1-CF39 [3]
      Link Quality=88/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise level:-81 dBm
      Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
      Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

: lsmod |grep rt
      rt2870sta 545832 1

: uname -r
      2.6.25-gentoo-r6-quad

Anyone using this board may want to give that a shot rather tha ndiswrapper *eeeck* ;p

Also, while the expressgate stuff is neat, it causes compatibility and stability problems for many people in some fashion (my Saitek Cyborg keyboard doesn't work with it, my Logitech G15 does, it doesn't read any of my mice correctly) so I have just disabled it. Hopefully they'll get a new build released someday that likes my usb input devices.

miles - I've not seen any sort of EPU support unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
      X