PulseAudio 6.0 Gains Systemd Socket Activation Support, BlueZ 5 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Sorry it's taking so long. I'm juggling a few things and this is still in the works.
    OK, so I'm making a livedvd/usb to make creating apples to apples benchmarks using PTS. Sorry this is taking so long. I haven't tried making one yet so I didn't already have a good environment set up. I got most of it done so from now on making new livedvd/usbs will be quicker.

Hopefully by tommorrow I'll have these benchmarks posted.

Comment

OK, so I'm making a livedvd/usb to make creating apples to apples benchmarks using PTS. Sorry this is taking so long. I haven't tried making one yet so I didn't already have a good environment set up. I got most of it done so from now on making new livedvd/usbs will be quicker.

Hopefully by tommorrow I'll have these benchmarks posted.
      You're looking to test PA performance impact?
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        You're looking to test PA performance impact?
        Yeah, more or less. I could have just installed PA and benchmarked, but I want to have a benchmark environment that other people can critique and produce benchmarks of their own hardware in an apples to apples environment.

I built a few LIveDVD/USBs with xfce+openrc+alsa, gnome3+systemd+pa, and kde4+systemd+pa. Right now I'm playing with PTS to show CPU graph. Still benchmarking.

EDIT: I'm actually quite impressed with how gentoo devs implemented systemd, even with it installed openrc still works.
        Last edited by duby229; 24 February 2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah, more or less. I could have just installed PA and benchmarked, but I want to have a benchmark environment that other people can critique and produce benchmarks of their own hardware in an apples to apples environment.

I built a few LIveDVD/USBs with xfce+openrc+alsa, gnome3+systemd+pa, and kde4+systemd+pa. Right now I'm playing with PTS to show CPU graph. Still benchmarking.

EDIT: I'm actually quite impressed with how gentoo devs implemented systemd, even with it installed openrc still works.
          I'd expect that's actually systemd's sysv compatibility rather than anything to do with openrc or Gentoo tbh

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            I'd expect that's actually systemd's sysv compatibility rather than anything to do with openrc or Gentoo tbh
            Regardless, it's still a good idea. And it works well. Every script I wrote works unmodified.

Comment

Regardless, it's still a good idea. And it works well. Every script I wrote works unmodified.
              The more pessimistic of us expect this compatibility will bitrot and go away once Debian and friends are migrated over. Guess we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                The more pessimistic of us expect this compatibility will bitrot and go away once Debian and friends are migrated over. Guess we'll see
                If it happens, they'll piss a lot of people off and lose some of their userbase. Of course from what I can tell they don't really care much about their userbase. The only reason I haven't gotten pissed off and quite trying already is because it's working. If it didn't work I would already have quite trying.

The plethora of systemd fanboys and zealots that spam this forum alone suggests the dumber the userbase the better.
                Last edited by duby229; 24 February 2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

The plethora of systemd fanboys and zealots that spam this forum alone suggests the dumber the userbase the better.
                  That statement coming from you is an excellent example for the meaning of "Irony".

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                    That statement coming from you is an excellent example for the meaning of "Irony".
                    And that statement coming from you is an excellent example of "systemd fanboys and zealots".

Comment

That's because Gentoo installs sysvinit and openrc side by side and you can't really remove openrc (and thus sysvinit) on a (stable) systemd-only system. AFAIK gentoo doesn't use systemd's sysvinit compatibility module.

Comment

Working...
                      X