UT3 Linux Client Is "In The Works"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Przeciwko View Post
    Yeah you are so riiiight. WarTourist messages on Phoronix shows how they don't care, this news to...
    Man, think again before you post such bull****. It's like FUD by Microsoft.
    I don't take a stance on the UT3 Linux debacle. Wartourist posted here nothing new except that "it's still in the works". You can take that info for what it's worth and do whatever it is you want. But you better clean up your language. xav1r posted a pretty hard truth in the Linux game landscape, and if you don't agree, there are better ways to respond than to stoop to that kind of stupid language.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
      If you can produce advertising material that states that, than it is an open and closed case under Irish law, which states in summary "Goods must be as advertised".

(Article link dead)
      However I found this article from the same site: http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/9593

Nothing solid however.
      Just goes to show that you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

Comment

From that link I understood that a previous unreal editor was ported entirely to linux. Is that true? And if so, which editor? the one for ut2k4?

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          I don't take a stance on the UT3 Linux debacle. Wartourist posted here nothing new except that "it's still in the works". You can take that info for what it's worth and do whatever it is you want. But you better clean up your language. xav1r posted a pretty hard truth in the Linux game landscape, and if you don't agree, there are better ways to respond than to stoop to that kind of stupid language.
          Thanks man, for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            First rule of thumb: If there is NOT a Linux client already available for you, either ON the disk or available for download, you are buying a WINDOWS title, not a Linux title. If you don't run Windows, why did you buy it, knowing there wasn't a client? On a promise? I hope they do release something- if not, I hope you learned your lesson on this. Sorry it had to be learned the hard way.
            No need to get dramatic

I do actually run Windows, I just prefer not to. So I could actually play it, getting the feel for it, while waiting for the Linux version. Better that way too because otherwise I would have had to jump into games with much more experienced players that had already months of training.

The fact that a Linux client is or isn't on the disc doesn't change much because they can't know on which system you are going to use it anyway.

In the end it was just "faith" that made me buy the game. They had always made good on their promise before, releasing Linux clients for their games (while they where still very much alive). So I wanted to show support for a company that had not let me down before. Only goes to show that you shouldn't be too trusting

Very likely I will still buy their games in the future if they come with a Linux client, but now I will definitely wait until the client is actually available!

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
              Indeed. While I have my own opinions, I'm keeping them MOSTLY to myself- mainly because of another hard real fact...

xav1r did indeed post a hard, painful truth when he stated that if there is no Linux client, all you're doing is buying a Windows title- everyone reading this, repeat that over and over and over again until it sinks in. WINE does NOT make it a Linux title. Cedega does NOT make it a Linux title. Crossover Games does NOT make it a Linux title. When you use Windows titles in this manner, all you are telling them is that you are perfectly FINE with a Windows version being ran on a sub-optimal solution.

The other hard real fact is that every action you do can end up closing doors on possible versions of things for Linux in the future.

When you mouth off like about "*!%#@# FUD", folks, you send the message that we're all obnoxious, ungrateful wretches, not worth going to the trouble to make an official version. Now, admittedly, they're inexcusably late to the game with this title- seven months isn't "we're working on it because it wasn't done", especially with whom they have to help them do the work (The same gent that helped them do the engine port work for Unreal Engine 2...), so you should be very, very upset all the same. I suggest using a bit more guarded language when discussing your displeasure.

If they did this to the Windows or MacOS community, they'd be out of business real quick. The only reason they're "getting away with it" is because we're not as focused and there's fewer "gamers" of the like that'd play UT3 on Linux right now than the other platforms (Even though there's a larger potential market in the Linux space...).

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
                No need to get dramatic
                Actually there is a reason... Most people keep perpetuating the problem of voting Windows instead of voting their preferred platform. Your purchase without them having provided a client is one instance of that sort of thing, unfortunately.

I do actually run Windows, I just prefer not to. So I could actually play it, getting the feel for it, while waiting for the Linux version. Better that way too because otherwise I would have had to jump into games with much more experienced players that had already months of training.
                You know, you might want to ask yourself if you want to keep running under Windows if you don't prefer to do so. Each time you buy a Windows title, you're just prolonging the network effect that keeps things like UT3 from being on Linux out of the gate. Honest.

The fact that a Linux client is or isn't on the disc doesn't change much because they can't know on which system you are going to use it anyway.
                Heh... Wrong thinking. What do you think gets handshaked with the server plants when you go online? If you never play the mulitplayer, sure, they're not going to know. And it's not that it has to be IN the box (that'd be nice)- it's that they HAVE to have a Linux client for it to be useful to most people in the Linux space.

In the end it was just "faith" that made me buy the game. They had always made good on their promise before, releasing Linux clients for their games (while they where still very much alive). So I wanted to show support for a company that had not let me down before. Only goes to show that you shouldn't be too trusting
                Which is what I was trying to convey. No Linux client, no sale. It doesn't matter if it's on the CD/DVD (Though that helps immensely)- but there does have to be a client.

Very likely I will still buy their games in the future if they come with a Linux client, but now I will definitely wait until the client is actually available!
                There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  You know, you might want to ask yourself if you want to keep running under Windows if you don't prefer to do so. Each time you buy a Windows title, you're just prolonging the network effect that keeps things like UT3 from being on Linux out of the gate. Honest.
                  I think that not playing games I like while waiting forever for them to maybe some day appear on Linux just isn't a very fun way to spend my time. And I don't care enough to be all principal about it.

But let's talk about being honest: the current Linux market just isn't big enough to warrant any investment in a Linux client. The few that do actually make them admit they basically do it out of the kindness of their heart (which doesn't mean they give the game away for free of course! But they assume that the amount of extra games they sell will hardly even pay for the extra work they had to do). First Linux desktop usage has to go up a couple of percentage points until it becomes really interesting for them. And it doesn't even have to be much, just look at Apple, lately there has been more and more interest from gaming companies to make an Apple version of their games.

Comment

I just thought about this. Gears of War 2 is coming for the x360 platform, and it will be AFAIK, the first game to use the incremental upgrade to the unreal engine 3, UE 3.5. Can you guess where im getting at? I dont think Epic will leave its prime title, Unreal Tournament, without the UE 3.5 treatment. I doubt it. So there will be some sort of similar situation as in ut2k3 -> ut2k4 with a new UT3.5 or something like that. When that goes down, no one, and i mean no one, buy that as soon as it ships if it doesnt have a linux penguin logo in the back of the box. That might just send a strong enough message.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      . That might just send a strong enough message.
                      I'd doubt it, even if every linux user was a gamer, with linux barely achieving 1% of the desktop market the loss in any potential revenue is negligible.

Comment

Working...
                      X