UT3 Linux Client Is "In The Works"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Could be part of game registration, to select the OS you use (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Wine). Games that collect online statistics are even easier.. the app can do a simple check for Wine, and pass that to the server as the OS instead of Windows. The GFX driver and audio driver names are tell-tale signs. It's not like Wine hides itself.. it just aims to behave like Windows on X11.
    Heh. It's not the question of how it can be done, but whether they even bother to do that. Sure, it can be part of game registration. Will they bother to check that? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      If I had to guess, from things I hear I'd say EA.
      Heh... Not really. About half of them are the same people RIAA or MPAA represent. The other half are players like EA, which have the same attitude as the others. You might want to think about that for a bit before going on and on about "Money is money..."...

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        Heh. It's not the question of how it can be done, but whether they even bother to do that. Sure, it can be part of game registration. Will they bother to check that? Nope.
        You can also register your game and say "other" when answering "what operating system are you using". Generally, there's a field where you can write "linux".
        I've done that way when registering my ID titles (Quake4, Doom3) on activision web site.
        It's probably useless, but it's worth a try. I also buy my games @ tuxgames.com, as they said they can report sales stats. I could find my games at cheaper prices on my local store game...

Comment

I agree with Fixxer_Linux on buying from places such as TuxGames. That seems to be the best way to have the game count as a Linux sales at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
            You can also register your game and say "other" when answering "what operating system are you using". Generally, there's a field where you can write "linux".
            I've done that way when registering my ID titles (Quake4, Doom3) on activision web site.
            It's probably useless, but it's worth a try. I also buy my games @ tuxgames.com, as they said they can report sales stats. I could find my games at cheaper prices on my local store game...
            /+1.
            I -only- buy native games.
            I -only- buy native games at Linux gaming shops.

Hopefully the long term loss (higher prices + International shipping fees) will be translated to long term gain. (More native games.)
            But even if it doesn't - at least I'm voting with my wallet.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

UT3 needs linux more than linux needs UT3. The community is dead. Epic obviously isn't happy about it as they close threads like this one without comment. When I look at UT3 Warfare servers online, there are about 6 that actually have people playing on them. The other game types fare similarly. When I look at Team Fortress 2 servers online, there are several hundred with people playing at any given time.

Someone responded to me earlier saying that this attitude perpetuated itself, and maybe that's right. But one of the most important aspects of an online game is the size and nature of the community playing it. If UT3 was open source like Nexiuz, we might hope that future revisions attract more and more players. But instead it's a proprietary product, and the online community is unlikely to be revived or expanded by any patches or updates to gameplay.

It's time to look past UT3 to other opportunities for linux gaming.

See also:
              Last edited by etymxris; 02 August 2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Wow! Q3A is still way up there... Though I believe these stats have some validity... They may be biased or skewed towards those servers GameSpy actually "spies", however it would be more interesting to know a time frame for these stats (I doubt these are the current stats... or are they?, if so... OUCH! action on-line gaming has gone RETRO!)
                Last edited by Thetargos; 07 August 2008, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                  Wow! Q3A is still way up there... Though I believe these stats have some validity... They may be biased or skewed towards those servers GameSpy actually "spies", however it would be more interesting to know a time frame for these stats (I doubt these are the current stats... or are they?, if so... OUCH! action on-line gaming has gone RETRO!)
                  Yeah, Counter Strike isn't in there for example, which I still play regularly, and that one has many thousands of servers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
                    Yeah, Counter Strike isn't in there for example, which I still play regularly, and that one has many thousands of servers as well.
                    Counter Strike is under "Half Life". Click on a game name to see the "mods" for that game. Team Fortress 2 is under "Half Life 2".

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
                      Counter Strike is under "Half Life". Click on a game name to see the "mods" for that game. Team Fortress 2 is under "Half Life 2".
                      Aaah, you're right, I hadn't seen that. And as I thought CS is actually responsible for the largest amount of the Half Life-based servers.

Edit: as is Counter Strike : Source for Half Life 2. So basically both Half Life categories could be folded into one monstrous Counter Strike item. Unbelievable really that a game so old is still so popular!

Comment

Working...
                      X