Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome-classic, GNOME- and that gorgeous shell theme

Originally posted by grege View Post
    <snip>Yes, you can build a Gnome 2 copy if that is what you want, except all that is needed is to log into Gnome Classic. Newsflash - most Gnome users use Gnome not Gnome Classic.

<snip>
    Extensions are not bandaids fixing things that are not in the default layout, extensions give you choice. The default install is plain, simple and basic - a start point.
    I do not know if there is a way to re-theme gnome-classic's panels, but for this gnome-shell layout I prefer to run the window-list and menu extensions in gnome-shell itself. Same interface, same backend, same issue with the system tray-but I really do prefer the slightly transparent black gnome-shell theme that I have liked from day one. I do not normally run gnome, but I keep it installed and play with it. That fucking shell theme the GNOME dev's came up with rocks, people (myself included) have put a LOT of work into porting it to or emulating it in other DE's. I can actually set up GNOME, Cinnamon, and even MATE (with cairo-dock) to look very similar to oneanother, in all three cases with that gorgeous slightly transparent black theme with silver borders and tooltip shapes. I also make sure my Gtk3 theme (a modded UbuntuStudio circa 2008 clone) works in GNOME, works in Cinnamon, and works in MATE. Never know what a friend might want to use it with...

Now, different DE's were designed to do different things. GNOME can emulate many others (via extensions) but using one DE to clone another's functionality may not be the most efficient way to do things. Still, I could now sit down at a default Fedora or Ubuntu-Gnome box, install gnome-shell extensions and gnome-tweak tool, and get what is essentially my desktop. Not the most efficient way to do things (all those scripts and not using their core functionality) but quick to set up and available anywhere GNOME is installed. I REALLY appreciate that the GNOME devs took the most important parts of Frippery in-house, that ends the breakage issue for the core elements of that once and for all.

I have played with gnome-shell all the way back to when it was an experimental alternative DE in Ubuntu Lucid, and remember a hell of a lot of work to get it installed and up and running in the early days of Ubuntu Natty as it was being developed, learning to write Gtk3 themes for the first time, and so much more. When extensions came out and Frippery appeared, I instantly dumped Unity (played with that too, used docks in both) for gnome-shell with Frippery. Been down quite a journey since then through Frippery, Cinnamon, and now a very complex MATE/compiz/cairo dock setup optimized for performance, but one thing remains the same: that beautiful black GNOME theme!

Comment

Originally posted by benohb View Post
      And there is still the problem of "themes crash program".

Maybe I do not understand the meaning of "API", but I know there are many versions of GTK and QT . Why I should re-building program when each version ??
      Why there is not respect to binary compatibility ?? Who will porting programs not supported by the Gnome project .How i can run Windows95 programs on w7 "Proprietaryos" and can not do this on "opensourceOS".
      Philosophy break (support - versions) used by commercial companies for re-purchase .

Some future GTK-6 functions :
      Code:
      /*
       * This program is deprecated software; you can [B]try[/B] recompile it and/or google it under the bug of the GNU General Public License as published 
       * You will find many tutorial but we believe it is an old .You may see many mistakes but make sure is it from us or the problem of (libc_5-*2&98?3-~~154rev-99)         
       *and/or/Maybe/possibly/not/by  (libc_5-*2&98?3-~~153rev-99) 
       */

deprecated *deprecated(Missing,deprecated); 
      def *deprecated(deprecated); 
      def gtk6_Weather_widget ();
      def gtk6_notes_widget ();
      If you want your program to survive. Built it on the Windows platform and use WINE.
      Sorry for bad English.
      You can still have the older libraries, e.g. gtk 1-3 and qt 1-5, all on the same linux system simultaneously without ever running into an issue. From the looks of the repositories for the source code of the older libraries they are still maintained to compile for new systems and won't likely disappear as long as the organization is around. When you have them all on your system you can run any program made with any one of those toolkits and it should still work as it did when it was released. Non-backwards compatible API revisions are made because they introduce breakages that would not work with the older version and are necessary to enable optimizations and new features. The choice of porting to the new API is up to the developer to enable their program to take advantage of these features and optimizations that allows it to run faster on newer hardware.

Windows may be running older programs from Windows 95 in compatibility mode but just like software made with GTK 1 they will not reach a level of performance the machine is capable of running because the older Windows 95 programs were developed with tools that do not support newer optimizations for newer hardware. So the situation is pretty similar between Windows and Linux in that regard.

If the source code for the old linux program written with older API's is also available it should be possible to edit the configuration to point to a dependency directory and distribute the program as a standalone version bundled with all the dependencies it needs so people don't even have to have the libraries installed on their system.

tl;dr Programming and releasing source code for linux shouldn't pose any more of a threat to it becoming obsolete because of API revisions.

Disclaimer: If anyone with more linux knowledge than myself sees any incorrect statements above please correct it. I'm still very much linux illiterate and the information I've provided is of the evaluation I have of linux functionality at the time that may be inaccurate.

Comment

Also if you want a guarantee API breakage effects can be minimized, you provide shims which then can be ported to different API versions. Pretty commonplace thing in companies writing proprietary software

Comment

Working...
        X