Why You Don't See Coreboot Supported By Many Modern Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    From a practical perspective, a distinction could be made between devices that have a limited and defined communications channel with the rest of the system and devices that don't. An example would be mass storage which could be treated as black box with bytes going in and bytes coming out. Just don't trust the device to keep the bytes going in secret, and the bytes coming out unmodified.
    Yep, that's fair. In our case it would probably be "anything that can access system memory without being constrained by the GPUVM page tables" since those are under driver control.
    Test signature

Comment

• As I don't know anything about how GPUs work, I'll have to take your word for it. Also that that parts which are not constrained by the same GPUVM tables are sufficiently isolated from parts that are, so the latter are unable to attack the former (e.g. by uncontrolled writing into their memory before they write to system memory). And that there is sufficient atomicity in the security checks to prevent TOCTTOU style attacks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
        I assume you are speaking of the "evil maid" attack that requires physical access twice: once to install the keylogging initramfs and once to collect the machine. This attack is mostly used "proof of concept" when multiple hackers share living space and someone needs to be taught that no single defensive layer is ever 100%.

Actual cops are more likely to use hardware keyloggers, a businessman in China once caught the MSS with has laptop apart where he left it in his hotel room. He rejected the advances of an apparent sex worker, charged back to his room, and caught the cops trying to install a hardware keylogger that plugs in between the keyboard cable and the motherboard, not the easiest job in a laptop. The counter to this is to glue the keyboard down so removing it becomes tamper-evident.

The software "evil maid" attack on the initramfs is complex for an attacker without persistant physical access because you have to know what you are attacking. You need at least to know whether you are attacking Truecrypt, Bitlocker or linux native DM-Crypt. I can guarnantee you that if you replaced my initramfs with one made with initramfs-tools I would notice because mine is made with Dracut.
        Luke's defense for example is to use full-disk encryption with non-standard initramfs, because the Evil Maid can come prepared for all methods of disk encryption commonly employed by Linux distros.
        The Evil Maid attack could be combined with a Blue Pill attack. No need for a second visit if you have network access, no need to target some specific encryption or boot scripts - just use the blue pill, then have the rogue hypervisor/interpreter inject a backdoor kernel module. You could log every keystroke, and present the exact binary data from the original drive so all checksums match. Even without a network, you can hide the encryption key and key log on a hidden area of the disk for later retrieval.. but if you have physical access, it makes sense to add your own network implant while you're there.

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        Lastly, you still need physical access, and not to leave a sign that you were present. If I were at a hotel room or activist house during a major protest and nobody would be there while we were deployed, you can bet my laptop would be coming with me. The desktop would be out of your jurisdiction in a place that is never left unattended. If I expected this kind of attack, say on a video editing machine that HAD to be left unattended during a major protest, the initramfs would come with me on a flash drive, and the keyboard would be glued shut.
        Physical security is hard, you have to trust the people guarding your system.. your attacker can use an undercover agent or flip one of your co-conspirators and that's it. Most people will turn on you if they think you are a threat to national security, or to their security, or their freedom, or just for profit. The only people who won't turn are the ones who are commited to the cause and willing to lose everything, and, ultimately, die for it. Outside of certain groups, those kind of people are very rare.

As Snowden said, encryption works, but security is difficult. IMHO, it isn't realistic to think that you can secure yourself against a nation state unless you have systems that aren't on a network, and can be physically guarded 24 hours a day by 100% trustworthy people. Any hardware, USB drives, etc. that interface with the system also need to be protected. It would be very hard.

If nobody is watching you, then it's probably not because it isn't possible, but because you aren't interesting enough to justify the effort and expense.

Comment

• using a network to exfil >3TB of video files?

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
          The Evil Maid attack could be combined with a Blue Pill attack. No need for a second visit if you have network access, no need to target some specific encryption or boot scripts - just use the blue pill, then have the rogue hypervisor/interpreter inject a backdoor kernel module. You could log every keystroke, and present the exact binary data from the original drive so all checksums match. Even without a network, you can hide the encryption key and key log on a hidden area of the disk for later retrieval.. but if you have physical access, it makes sense to add your own network implant while you're there.

Physical security is hard, you have to trust the people guarding your system.. your attacker can use an undercover agent or flip one of your co-conspirators and that's it. Most people will turn on you if they think you are a threat to national security, or to their security, or their freedom, or just for profit. The only people who won't turn are the ones who are commited to the cause and willing to lose everything, and, ultimately, die for it. Outside of certain groups, those kind of people are very rare.

As Snowden said, encryption works, but security is difficult. IMHO, it isn't realistic to think that you can secure yourself against a nation state unless you have systems that aren't on a network, and can be physically guarded 24 hours a day by 100% trustworthy people. Any hardware, USB drives, etc. that interface with the system also need to be protected. It would be very hard.

If nobody is watching you, then it's probably not because it isn't possible, but because you aren't interesting enough to justify the effort and expense.
          Even the simplest security is enough to stop most of the bulk monitoring the US and UK are now famous for. HTTPS alone is probably enough to lock your ISP out of your data, and Torbrowser will defeat Google's tracking (and thus subpeonas for your Google history) even on your home computer. As of now https is also said to block Verizon Mobile's infamous tracking header from being inserted. There a hell of a lot of dangerous, low level monitoring that is easily stopped.

The more difficult and expensive you make it to attack your computers, the more "interesting" you can be without it being worth it to deploy the attacks. If you are arrested with an unencrypted computing device of any kind, I can almost guarantee it will be searched, legally or otherwise. If encrypted they almost certainly will not be to conduct a "routine" search. I've even heard of them holding machines and offering them back in return for the passphrase! If they otherwise give it back, that's when all the firmware-related attacks are to be presumed to be in use, especially against something common. Still, you are right that snitches, not hardware attacks, are the usual threat here.

Speaking of using the network to covertly exfil the take, it would be almost funny if the police tried to exfiltrate my over 3TB collection of video clips over a network of any kind. This would be equivalent to torrenting about 750 full length DVD movies at once. No way in hell that would go unnoticed. If I think there is a danger of a remote search for files from a particular date, changing the file creation times will block the search, and without knowing file and folder filenames there is no other way to search for them. Camera metadata I strip off.

I find it interesting that the US was never able to catch Mr Snowden, he was able to defeat his own former employers at their own game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
            The discussion below will apply to used machines with unwanted "anti-features" locked into them and to cases where they are a postpurchase surprise and the vendor refuses to take their crap back. That happens, I had to throw out $150 worth of T-Mobile hotspot garbage when I found they routed all activity through a "web-guard" censorship server unless you gave them a social security number or an ID. I refused, they refused to take their shit back, so I threw it in the pile of old circuit boards and went with someone else-after draining all the bandwidth on Ubuntu disk images so they could not re-sell it.
            That's why I prefer devices supported by OpenWRT and 1st thing I would do for router is to install my own firmware. If I need 3G/4G, I would rather use usb modem which can only do limited harm to rest of systems, even if it turns badass-usb. Not like if one can type on bad-kbd if my device lacks HID USB modules

not simply use a pre-existing malicious feature in their own.
            Actually there are chances USB device could have backdoored firmware from factory or it could be patched later. Why not? And there were at least some reports of powerful malware capable of patching HDD firmware. Sure, it only supported limited range of devices. OTOH it could be exceptionally persistent. It can eventully get extended to some USB devices with popular controllers I guess.

suddenly a new and not so easy layer to bypass has been added to the defenses.
            Sure, these attacks are blind. Yet, they can be successful. Especially against unsuspecting users using Default OS with default settings. I think OSes should develop some resistance against devices which suddenly changing their class, etc.

Each different USB device will have different firmware, predicting which one has to be replaced with a malicious varient becomes an issue.
            To some degree its true. Yet it can be tempting to, say, mass-upload backdoored firmware at factory and it happened historically at least few times. This is hard to detect and can give considerable amount of victims.

They must now resolve this chicken and egg situation or store a huge variety of firmware somewhere in flash.
            You see, to start computer you should have software which starts computer. When first computers were created, there was no such software, obviously. Yet it got solved. Do you honestly think other challenges are harder than that?

For instance, V-Pro and other "AMT" type technologies as far as we know require use of the on-board network device and normally fail if used with a network device not supporting remote management.
            Of course, if you will use your own custom network device, AMT firmware is far from full-fledged OS bringing hundreds megs of drivers for every network card around. This way it would fail. But you see, 9 of 10 nuts would not even suspect that plugging wire to built-in network card could be something bad.

If you've got one of those Supermicro boards you mentioned, not connecting the onboard networking device to the Internet disables remote use of AMT entirely,
            Sure, but on other hand it also means certain complications since it implies you shouldn't use remote management at all.

As a rule all "enterprise" laptops and servers that offer "extra security" should be avoided when security against state level attackers, security against the vendor, or security against your ISP is required.
            Somehow when they tell smth about security, they usually mean "vendor should have ability to securely pwn user". Since most of these countermeasures turn out to be either marketing bullshit in best case or potential tool to conduct covert attacks on these valuable enterprise targets, etc. Making sure target haves hard time to escape these attacks. And sure, some brainwashing about security is a part of plan. But as long as one refusing to show source and unwilling to allow to replace their SW, IMO it is logical to assume its just some brainwashing, not anythnig securty related at all.

but it is the first three I consider the most dangerous.
            Sure. Under most scenarios blackhats are less organized. Though if it, say, industrial espionage or so and competitor pays a lot to learn trade secrets, one can expect professional and strong attacks. Say, there were some "barbarian bad-usb style" attacks years and years ago.

As for screwing with RF circuits, RF happens to be one of my fields of expertise, and a shielded dummy load is not that hard to make
            And I'm one who understands how digital things are working. Somehow I'm able to imagine worstcase attitude of various firmwares, etc. Hopefully it explains why I'm fed up with all this treachery from Intel & co.

highly directional antennas and exact knowledge of your location to spy on you this way, and the NSA does not hand all their secrets to every cow town constable.
            Sounds reasonable. Though I prefer not to use unwanted RF devices at all. Say, if I do not need 3G modem, let's switch it off. Ideally at electric level, by cutting power down through dedicated FET. Or even unplug it from socket. It's not like if unpowered device can emit something, etc.

Since Lenovo disables booting with a non-Lenovo network card on the bus, all Lenovo wifi cards should be treated as malicious and removed.
            I would rather consider vendor and their BIOS/UEFI to be malicious. I fail to see any good reasons for all this treachery.

One more question: what happens when an older (pre Boot Guard) Lenovo laptop gets both Coreboot and a non Lenovo network card installed?
            I guess it should just boot. Though I'm not really sure if coreboot will do proper early chipset/board specific HW init, etc. Then I can imagine EC could potentially interfere in some cases. When it is proprietary firmware, you just issue ACPI call and rely on BIOS to do the rest. If you got rid of blob, that's obviously not an option anymore and software have to do it directly instead, being aware of platform specifics.

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              PCI/PCIe devices cannot be treated as black boxes however (remember the Thunderbold security fiasco?). Same for anything with Direct Memory Access like FireWire
              Modern hardware comes with IOMMU and it would catch any access which was not previously enabled in explicit way. While primary use is to allow safe PCI(-e) devices passthrough to VM, it also good countermeasure against DMA attacks in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                Modern hardware comes with IOMMU and it would catch any access which was not previously enabled in explicit way.
                IOMMU sounds like a good idea in theory, in practice the situation is much less rosy.

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                While primary use is to allow safe PCI(-e) devices passthrough to VM, it also good countermeasure against DMA attacks in general.
                An IOMMU would be good, if
                1. they work correctly
                2. the operating system knows about their existence
                3. the operating system has a driver for them
                4. the operating system actually uses them (and not e.g. turns them off by default because they cause stability problems or other issues)

Neither of these is a given, as was demonstrated multiple times in the past.

Comment

Working...
                X