Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A more accurate view might be :

Code:
    Application (API calls) >> Nine state tracker  >> Gallium3D drivers >> hardware
    Code:
    Application (OpenGL calls) >> Mesa library (aka OpenGL state tracker) >> Gallium3D drivers >> hardware
    I replaced "instructions" with "hardware" since the stack (and the Gallium3D drivers) handle both shader code and API calls. The shader code ends up as ISA binaries in memory, and the API calls end up as commands to the chip saying "draw these triangles, running this shader on every vertex before you render the triangles and running that shader code on every fragment in each of the triangles after you've rendered them".

The Nine path is a bit simplified relative to reality because Wine and DX runtime are still involved IIRC, but the Wine/OpenGL path is a bit simplified too
    Test signature

Comment

bridgman do you know if AMD is starting preliminary OGL-Next support for amdkfd?

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        bridgman do you know if AMD is starting preliminary OGL-Next support for amdkfd?
        You're likely confuse amdkfd (that is AMD HSA driver) with AMDGPU which is driver for future AMD GPUs like Radeon was for pre-R9 285.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
          You're likely confuse amdkfd (that is AMD HSA driver) with AMDGPU which is driver for future AMD GPUs like Radeon was for pre-R9 285.
          Yup, my bad.

Comment

All is good, no rushing. I prefer to have a very good & stable support for OGL3 & wait a bit for OGL4, than get OGL4 now and fight with my machine to just get the desktop to show without glitches.

Recently I dropped fglrx from my system (I got Radeon HD777), and going to floss drivers only gave me a 10 fps penalty in 3d games (Xonotic on ultra). That's a very good tradeoff for not having glitches that were bugging me constantly on fglrx. (on a side note: I noticed dramatically bad performance - less than 10 fps, unplayable - in 2d SDL games like OpenTTD on the floss driver :-/ )

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
              . (on a side note: I noticed dramatically bad performance - less than 10 fps, unplayable - in 2d SDL games like OpenTTD on the floss driver :-/ )
              Sounds like if you haven't got your 2D acceleration working at all... because if it works, you should have no probs to play OpenTTD on virtually any Radeons. Check xorg config and log and make sure you've installed DDX part of driver.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                Sounds like if you haven't got your 2D acceleration working at all... because if it works, you should have no probs to play OpenTTD on virtually any Radeons. Check xorg config and log and make sure you've installed DDX part of driver.
                There's nothing called "ddx" on the distros repository, as for the xorg config - this is the default that the distro gives after clean install (the log doesn't show any errors), I figured this should work ok :-P.

Comment

There's nothing called "ddx" on the distros repository, as for the xorg config - this is the default that the distro gives after clean install (the log doesn't show any errors), I figured this should work ok :-P.
                  "DDX" (Device Dependent X driver) is the generic name for the drivers in /xorg/driver, eg xf86-video-ati. You won't see "ddx" in the name.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    "DDX" (Device Dependent X driver) is the generic name for the drivers in /xorg/driver, eg xf86-video-ati. You won't see "ddx" in the name.
                    OK, my bad ;-). Ofc I got that installed. Maybe this is some kind of bug in radeonsi?

Comment

OK, my bad ;-). Ofc I got that installed. Maybe this is some kind of bug in radeonsi?
                      Or (re)install/config - after you remove fglrx you need to remove/replace a bunch of open source driver bits. What does the X log say ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X