LXQt 0.9 Released, Now Requires Qt5 & KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pininety View Post
    ... Have it in the hands of a Benevolent dictator for life? Like BSD? ...
    Dictator for life???
    You can choose at least between FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      That's about what the systemd devs are pushing for.
      From Lennart's blog post i got an impression he wants chroot on steroids. I see no elegance if we will have to have 10x of every basic lib for 10 distros we want to run software from.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        From Lennart's blog post i got an impression he wants chroot on steroids. I see no elegance if we will have to have 10x of every basic lib for 10 distros we want to run software from.
        That would happen without standardisation. With it, you could have library sets not duplicated. Say, all Debian derivatives could use the same library sets. Or at least all Ubuntu derivatives (they have the same release cycle, after all).

But yes, in general I agree that it's not quite as elegant as never having to keep several library sets, but then again that would just add the option to do so, not make it a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
          BUT you can statically link everything and then use 10x instances of everything in containers and VMs, and then deduplicate it all back (or use the copy-on-write differential snapshots). Isn't that marvelous?

Comment

Operations will also be much more secure once a new OS is spawned to establish a TCP connection or to answer a HTTP request, and then shutdown/deleted once the task has been serviced.

Comment

Working...
            X