The First Ubuntu Phone Officially Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    That user don't see any Updates for there phones in the future. And if they want Linux, they can use jolla or Android.

No one say something different. Only that the choice kills any future system updates, because they didn't happen. No new Drivers, no new Kernels.
    That is not correct, afaik Ubuntu Touch uses Android drivers via LXC container and they are separate from the OS (hence the dual layer system), it can have new kernels and in fact it gets new kernels when new versions of Ubuntu come out (upon which Ubuntu Touch is based), the dual layer system is exactly why Ubuntu Touch devices will get regular updates, it functions differently from Android updates and that is made on purpose precisely because it enables Canonical to push updates to the OS without special intervention from the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Shhhhhh.... just let it happen..... no matter how logically and well thought out your argument is..... he wants to take a shot at Canonical so nothing you say will ever appease him. I stopped trying here. If Canonical's official stance on the color of the sky was that it was blue, you'd have people here saying that it was green, the color of real freedom and that anyone that disagrees with them are just fanboys and obviously unworthy linux noobs.

Anywhoo...... 169.90 EUR = $192.40 (as of 02/06/2014 @ 12:30pm EST) is a pretty good price for a new unlocked device with those specs. I might see if my savings could take a hit just to have it as a media device (I don't have a data plan or will anytime soon).

NOTE: I'm not willing to argue if the price is actually good or not. That is opinion and not empirical fact.
      You are right but I still try to explain sometimes, maybe because I have plenty of spare time at the moment. I will leave and rest my case if they start trolling. I agree that the price is good, for example Jolla phone with similar specifications is significantly more expensive.

Comment

well in my opinion Fanboys are fanboys, they didn't even care when Canonical begin to recolect deash user searches, they use all kind of excuses to allow Canonical keep doing that. They are not really interested on free software, they want a OS with windows games, windows programs, windows tools, BUT with another name not Windows, something related to Linux to be cool or hipster. On the other side, Google has very much power in the market and is linux at the end, so this new systems where developed from the begining for be a Android replacement. Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch. No more just than a android crappy replacement and not more free than my Bird. But wherever, people still velive than linux is about freedom? Linux is about bussines, Canonical and Jolla just want to eat the cake to, but the only alternative viable is this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          You do realize most people dont care about chipsets and just want Linux on their phones? And Ubuntu Touch is Linux. Besides is Linux dead because lots of hardware it runs on uses proprietary BIOS and drivers? Certainly not.
          I think you missed the point. While ubuntu touch may have some nice things about it, first impressions really mean a LOT. If their FIRST phone earns a reputation of being very limiting and unfriendly, then that is a stigmata that the PLATFORM can obtain as a side-effect. Android, though it didn't launch with the most modern hardware and was pretty... rough around the edges, the HTC Dream was open and HIGHLY customizable, and even shipped as a pair "G1" for consumers, and "ADP1" for developers. It set the stage for how Android was regarded and evolved from that point onward.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
            well in my opinion Fanboys are fanboys, they didn't even care when Canonical begin to recolect deash user searches, they use all kind of excuses to allow Canonical keep doing that. They are not really interested on free software, they want a OS with windows games, windows programs, windows tools, BUT with another name not Windows, something related to Linux to be cool or hipster. On the other side, Google has very much power in the market and is linux at the end, so this new systems where developed from the begining for be a Android replacement. Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch. No more just than a android crappy replacement and not more free than my Bird. But wherever, people still velive than linux is about freedom? Linux is about bussines, Canonical and Jolla just want to eat the cake to, but the only alternative viable is this.
            News for you;
            EVERYTHING is about business.
            The difference between software freedom and overbearing control freaks like Apple, is symbiosis vs parasitism.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              I think you missed the point. While ubuntu touch may have some nice things about it, first impressions really mean a LOT. If their FIRST phone earns a reputation of being very limiting and unfriendly, then that is a stigmata that the PLATFORM can obtain as a side-effect. Android, though it didn't launch with the most modern hardware and was pretty... rough around the edges, the HTC Dream was open and HIGHLY customizable, and even shipped as a pair "G1" for consumers, and "ADP1" for developers. It set the stage for how Android was regarded and evolved from that point onward.
              That would be true if Ubuntu Touch targetted only hardcore geeks that care about what chipset is inside, but it does not target only hardcore geeks, it targets a wide variety of Linux users and technology enthusiasts and hopes to attract non tech users in the future (if it succeeds as a platform). Concerning appearances at launch I believe Canonical covered most parts, Ubuntu SDK is ready for creation of applications and scopes for Ubuntu Touch so the developers are covered, Aquaris HD 4.5 is a decent phone with an acceptable price so buyers are also covered, and we have Meizu phones coming too, probably cheap but decent M1 and powerful MX4 or MX4 Pro. If compared to first Android or iOS phones, Aquaris HD 4.5 on Ubuntu Touch will likely be a much better experience but of course that Android and iOS moved on in the mean time and expectations from a new OS on the market are much higher now, something which Ubuntu will have to deal with, from what I seen the platform is innovative and is stable, which is good enough for the first publicly available version, of course some people will nitpick and find many flaws, as you can find flaws in anything if you really want to, but from what I seen it is good enough and will become better in the future, it only needs buyers and developers.

Like I already said Canonical didnt have much choice when it comes to pushing their mobile OS on decent and affordable phones, they lack money to produce their own phones, so complaining about chipsets in the first devices ever is exaggeration in my opinion. They tried with Ubuntu Edge and failed so they needed to look for other ways to market their OS. What people often forget is that Canonical is a small company with about 500 employees, many of which are not developers, the mere fact they produced a fully working mobile Linux OS that is heading for convergence, and managed to get it on sale in like 1.5-2 years is quite a feat, I honestly thought it wouldnt happen after Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding failed, though I really hoped that they will succeed, now I am delighted I can actually buy an Ubuntu Touch phone and honestly I dont care about the chipset inside it, it is the first device and I wont nitpick about it.
              Last edited by Cerberus; 06 February 2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

News for you;
                EVERYTHING is about business.
                The difference between software freedom and overbearing control freaks like Apple, is symbiosis vs parasitism.
                Well said.

Comment

That would be true if Ubuntu Touch targetted only hardcore geeks that care about what chipset is inside, but it does not target only hardcore geeks, it targets a wide variety of Linux users and technology enthusiasts and hopes to attract non tech users in the future (if it succeeds as a platform). Concerning appearances at launch I believe Canonical covered most parts, Ubuntu SDK is ready for creation of applications and scopes for Ubuntu Touch so the developers are covered, Aquaris HD 4.5 is a decent phone with an acceptable price so buyers are also covered, and we have Meizu phones coming too, probably cheap but decent M1 and powerful MX4 or MX4 Pro. If compared to first Android or iOS phones, Aquaris HD 4.5 on Ubuntu Touch will likely be a much better experience but of course that Android and iOS moved on in the mean time and expectations from a new OS on the market are much higher now, something which Ubuntu will have to deal with, from what I seen the platform is innovative and is stable, which is good enough for the first publicly available version, of course some people will nitpick and find many flaws, as you can find flaws in anything if you really want to, but from what I seen it is good enough and will become better in the future, it only needs buyers and developers.

Like I already said Canonical didnt have much choice when it comes to pushing their mobile OS on decent and affordable phones, they lack money to produce their own phones, so complaining about chipsets in the first devices ever is exaggeration in my opinion. They tried with Ubuntu Edge and failed so they needed to look for other ways to market their OS. What people often forget is that Canonical is a small company with about 500 employees, many of which are not developers, the mere fact they produced a fully working mobile Linux OS that is heading for convergence, and managed to get it on sale in like 1.5-2 years is quite a feat, I honestly thought it wouldnt happen after Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding failed, though I really hoped that they will succeed, now I am delighted I can actually buy an Ubuntu Touch phone and honestly I dont care about the chipset inside it, it is the first device and I wont nitpick about it.
                  IF REGULAR NORMAL PEOPLE HATE IT because it is something that can only appeal to geeks, and GEEKS HATE IT because it is incredibly limited, then it has earned a reputation as being CRAP across the board and NOBODY will buy it again.

I.e., liking something has to start somewhere. Android started by appealing exclusively to geeks, then grew to include normal people who went to geeks for advice.
                  Last edited by droidhacker; 06 February 2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Well said.
                    My biggest question, is why does that guy like roosters so much?

Comment

IF REGULAR NORMAL PEOPLE HATE IT because it is something that can only appeal to geeks, and GEEKS HATE IT because it is incredibly limited, then it has earned a reputation as being CRAP across the board and NOBODY will buy it again.

I.e., liking something has to start somewhere. Android started by appealing exclusively to geeks, then grew to include normal people who went to geeks for advice.
                      It is neither too technical for regular users nor too limited for geek users, afaik the image of Ubuntu Touch can be made rw and then you have full control over your device, you can even use apt-get I believe. UI is very intuitive and easy to use so regular users are covered, and geek users can gain full access to play around, I even saw a demonstration of Libre Office running on the phone via XMir just for fun. The times have changed since Android made its debut and today a mobile OS must cater to both types of users and I believe Ubuntu Touch does that extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                      X