Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrunchBang Is The Latest Linux Distribution Calling It Quits

Phoronix: CrunchBang Is The Latest Linux Distribution Calling It Quits

Philip Newborough, the lead developer behind the CrunchBang Linux distribution, has tossed in the towel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it's a wise decision. And I'm sure that a guy with his experience would be widely welcome in any other distribution out there.
    Maybe it's time for Linux to stop spreading new distributions every day and find common grounds?

Comment

I have not used Crunchbang in quite a while now, but I cannot help but to respect this dev in regard to his reasoning and response. Surely there are countless distributions that would welcome his mature attitude and skill set with open arms.

Comment

I've been waiting for this for a few years. I wasn't even sure CB11 would happen, but he managed to put it together.

Debian has completely changed *cough* for the worse *cough*
        OpenBox is dead, though you might see a minor release fixing a few bugs once every few years
        tint2 just resumed development after three years of no activity
        Linux desktops/apps are preparing to move towards Wayland
        There's a ton of new desktops in development, both lightweight and not so lightweight
        Mobile is the new cool focus
        I believe corenominal has a few young children to focus on now, too
        etc, etc, etc.

CrunchBang was bloody amazing and corenominal is an awesome guy; I wish him the best.
        Last edited by Ouroboros; 06 February 2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

So progress is Corporations like Red Hat imposing systemd to crush other alternative distros to Fedora and Red Hat? Buying Centos to changing his proupose to not be red hat alternative? Sure, the progress is more like Getting walmarks on your town crushing local and small businnes atended by his owners yep. Embrace the progress. Embrace systemd. Embrace Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            CrunchBang was bloody amazing and corenominal is an awesome guy; I wish him the best.
            c/p
            (and some chars)

Comment

It has its place still. It was lighter weight than lubuntu with codecs included. It was handy for installing on old hardware kind of like what puppy is. Although in the last 4 years things have gotten drastically heavier. Can't web brows on a PII anymore.
              I liked desktop text config, very light weight. I will keep this in mind for when I want something lightweight installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                Maybe it's time for Linux to stop spreading new distributions every day and find common grounds?
                It is not easy. New distributions come when someone can't find "the best distro" and when (s)he wants to build his/her own distro.

In fact, there is a lot of distro forks. I think if we stop to fork distros, we can stop spreading new distributions every day.

Comment

I installed CrunshBang on some Atom-based-GMA-graphics-netbook from 2010(?) a couple of weeks ago. Working perfectly and fast. Battery life up to 8hours using TLP.
                  Tried Xubuntu 12.04 on the same device before and it was extremely slow, almost unusable. Drained battery in ~1hour. Way too much disc-access (swapping?).

CrunshBang is/was great.

Comment

Too bad. I love OpenBox + tint2 for the simplicity and light weight, they've been the desktop on three of my machines for +6 years (just switched my main workhorse to i3wm), so I had a lot of sympathy for CrunchBang and kind of hoped it'd eventually help move OpenBox forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X