Wine Developers Are Still Working On Direct3D 10/11 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    So what you're saying we should all use Kanotix instead of Ubuntu/Mint because you don't have to deal with Nvidia driver installation problems? Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that Nvidia should be helping Nouveau like AMD does with Gallium. Intel does as well, but they just bypass Gallium for some reason.
    Intel's reason is because they already had a driver they were heavily invested in. Although it was about 7 years ago. I'm sure they could have developed a new driver by now.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Intel's reason is because they already had a driver they were heavily invested in. Although it was about 7 years ago. I'm sure they could have developed a new driver by now.
      How is the not-gallium path called?
      Does a switch to gallium3d mean a rewrite more or less? Is the non-gallium thingy and gallium that different?

Comment

@Dukenukemx

First of all: never use the nvidia / amd binary run installer. If you do that, then it does not matter which distro you use, you already managed to break it as soon as updates replace a file (even the uninstaller will put back the wrong files in that case).

If the distro of your choice requires that, i would not use it. Btw. it should not be required to use ssh to install a driver, in worst case you need "nomodeset" kernel option to get a picture.

I definitely agree that Nvidia should help Nouveau devs much more, especially the hard parts like reclocking would require at least documentation and official firmware files.

But did you ever try to use a muxless Intel/AMD laptop? At max you can use radeon with PRIME, fglrx is impossible. Nvidia at least allows you to use the binary for full speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          How is the not-gallium path called?
          Classic, classic drivers... before DRI2 and before mesa 8 there was many classic drivers for various vendors, now it is mostly intel and few amd/nvidia 15 years old chips "supported" with that.

Does a switch to gallium3d mean a rewrite more or less? Is the non-gallium thingy and gallium that different?
          It is easier and needs less workforce... i guess half on intel's mesa devs will simply lose their jobs if switching to gallium
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 February 2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

DX10 and 11 are already obsolete. Wine should go directly to DX12 and forget completely about 10/11.
            DX12 is so much faster, no game dev. company will bother about older dx anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8WJ4A6amSE

http://anandtech.com/show/8962/the-d...dia-star-swarm

Comment

Working...
            X