It's Easy To Switch Between Upstart & Systemd Right Now On Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy To Switch Between Upstart & Systemd Right Now On Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: It's Easy To Switch Between Upstart & Systemd Right Now On Ubuntu 15.04

While Ubuntu 15.04 is working towards migrating over to using systemd by default, it's still using Upstart at present. However, both Upstart and systemd are installed by default with current Ubuntu 15.04 builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Same is on Debian for some time, but of course switching between sysv and systemd

Comment

So - if all it requires is one command line switch at boot - what's the problem with offering a couple of alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        So - if all it requires is one command line switch at boot - what's the problem with offering a couple of alternatives?
        It's mostly about defaults and what can be relied on to exist by developers

Comment

Switching back after some time will be tricky. When non-systemd components start to bitrot.

I am ok with systemd as long it doesn't forces gummibot and networkd on me. If it tries that, I am off to Gentoo.

Comment

systemd only forces one thing on you

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
            Switching back after some time will be tricky. When non-systemd components start to bitrot.

I am ok with systemd as long it doesn't forces gummibot and networkd on me. If it tries that, I am off to Gentoo.
            and thats journald, everything else is optional. its more how your distro or you configure your system

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              It requires one command line switch now, while all the doubled-up infrastructure is in place to maintain both. Nobody wants to maintain that long-term... it's only sustainable for one release cycle, maybe two at the most. Beyond that, the non-default option will gradually bit-rot, because nobody cares enough to keep it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                It requires one command line switch now, while all the doubled-up infrastructure is in place to maintain both. Nobody wants to maintain that long-term... it's only sustainable for one release cycle, maybe two at the most. Beyond that, the non-default option will gradually bit-rot, because nobody cares enough to keep it working.
                I'd expect it to be used in Debian indefinitely since they actually want to support multiple inits

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  I'd expect it to be used in Debian indefinitely since they actually want to support multiple inits
                  I thought they couldn't come to a consensus on that vote, which is why Devuan forked.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    They need to support multiple inits in jessie for smooth upgrades. After that, no more multiple inits, aside from volunteer efforts (and everyone hates doing anything with the ancient sysv scripts, so I don't expect much effort there; while ports will be moving to OpenRC, which uses different scripts).

Check this for the summary of the whole discussion: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...-Wright-format

Comment

Working...
                    X