Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi Browser Downloaded More Than 400k Times So Far

Phoronix: Vivaldi Browser Downloaded More Than 400k Times So Far

Last week we covered the launch of Vivaldi, a new Chromium-powered, multi-platform web browser headed by the former CEO of Opera. In the past few days the Vivadli tech preview has been downloaded more than four hundred thousand times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The fastest web browser in the whole world?

In my opinion it's currently the fastest web browser so I'm impressed! What do you think?

Comment

Make it open source and I will download it too

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Otter Browser aims to recreate the best aspects of the classic Opera (12.x) UI using Qt5.

There are also other efforts.
        Last edited by Emdek; 04 February 2015, 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

"I did hear from a developer from a niche open-source project about attempting to be poached by Vivaldi."

What does this mean ? "poached" is kinda weird for non-american people .. ?

This not really useful : http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/poached
          (or is it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
            What open source browser(s) do you use? What part of old-Opera/Vivaldi are they missing?

Comment

I installed it too. Saw what amazing internet-exlorer-like software it is and uninstalled.

Comment

Meanwhile, Fifth has been downloaded almost 3k times (SF.net), plus the unknown amount by distro packaging. Clearly I need to prepare a press release comparing that number to the number of penguins in Finland or something.

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
                  In my opinion it's currently the fastest web browser so I'm impressed! What do you think?
                  It is quite fast.

The color scheme is hideous though, and the edges of the browser window should have some visual effect like a border. Vivaldi sharing a screen with a bunch of xterms... I could not see where the browser ended and a stacked xterm started. The tabs are white are separated by very narrow columns of pixels which are almost white (0xFFAAFF IIRC), so it's really hard to tell where to click.

Vivaldi really needs the ability to for user to control the UI colors.

I know this may sound like nit picking. However if I have to stare at a program's windows to find it's UI elements then it is hard to use.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    It is quite fast.

The color scheme is hideous though, and the edges of the browser window should have some visual effect like a border. Vivaldi sharing a screen with a bunch of xterms... I could not see where the browser ended and a stacked xterm started. The tabs are white are separated by very narrow columns of pixels which are almost white (0xFFAAFF IIRC), so it's really hard to tell where to click.

Vivaldi really needs the ability to for user to control the UI colors.

I know this may sound like nit picking. However if I have to stare at a program's windows to find it's UI elements then it is hard to use.
                    What I'm hoping for is since the entire UI is built using Javascript and the normal webstack that we'll have the ability to completely customize the location, color, blockiness, fonts, and more just by editing some CSS for the browser itself. That'd be cool.

Comment

Working...
                    X