Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Shown Off Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    That might have been the original plan, but since they decided to give Mantle to Khronos to use in OGL-Next they probably delayed it to see what Khronos would do. If Khronos decided to use Mantle as a base, then there'd really be no reason in AMD releasing it, would there?
    Or it was simply a PR stunt.

Comment

Will see if Khronos show us OpenGL Next in full (specs) or just as click baits (DX12/Mantle press releases....)

Arguably, Khronos need the full specs out there.
      1) Google need something to hammer iOS Metal. AEP is good at showing "we can do more", but not about "and faster". With OGN second would be true, too!
      2) Games are made on game engines this days OK. But game engines still need to adopt new standard. Till then we have just strain on rainforest and nothing more. (sheets of paper)
      3) Apple must be convinced to support this new API. Right now they are major target of non-Win-but-still-PC games. With OpenGL 4.1/2 on Mesa ready, OpenGL will still be most widly available API for the job.
      4) Drivers, drivers, drivers.

And last but most important:
      0) Tooling. MS will (is) focus(ing) on tooling. DX12 wont win, becuase devs are familiar with it! It will when their tooling is better.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        [...]
        4) Drivers, drivers, drivers.
        [...]
        live demos of real-world applications running on glNext drivers and hardware.
        So maybe there are already multiple vendors that have glNext driver. Since there are basically only 3 vendors you have at least 66% glNext support already. Considering that Valve seems to lead this presentation I wouldn't be surprised if they demo it on Linux.

I wonder if the glNext drivers will be like the old OpenGL where every vendor ships its own GL.so.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          So maybe there are already multiple vendors that have glNext driver. Since there are basically only 3 vendors you have at least 66% glNext support already. Considering that Valve seems to lead this presentation I wouldn't be surprised if they demo it on Linux.

I wonder if the glNext drivers will be like the old OpenGL where every vendor ships its own GL.so.
          I doubt it'd be Linux-based for the sole reason that I can't see GPU manufacturers doing a Linux driver first.
          Though... I guess Android could change that.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            I doubt it'd be Linux-based for the sole reason that I can't see GPU manufacturers doing a Linux driver first.
            AMD/nVidia use basicly the same OpenGL driver on Windows and Linux, it shouldn't matter too much for them.

Also, if you remember the hype around fglrx 8.41, when AMD Catalyst finally got a fast OpenGL driver in 2007... the Windows XP AMD Catalyst driver only got the new OpenGL driver a couple of months later.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              AMD and Nvidia blobs share a lot of code between platforms. So it shouldn't be a big deal to "enable" glNext on Linux I think. It will probably be simply an additional user-space lib.

Comment

Maybe you guys are right, I'd just think that having it working on windows would come first, especially for a game API...

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  as long as they are not giant, giant crabs would be in violation of PS3 showcase
                  You could always hit them with a third generation crowbar.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    2) Games are made on game engines this days OK. But game engines still need to adopt new standard. Till then we have just strain on rainforest and nothing more. (sheets of paper)
                    Both of most popular game engines vendors (Unity and Epic) are participate development of the standard so as any other working group members they have access to all drafts.

There of course few other game engines available like one of Crytek, but they didn't show a lot of interest in Linux adoption so they're not likely interested to implement some new standard support right now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      It's OK as long as you attack their weak point. FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!
                      It's Ridge Racer! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr! Remember that one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBUeINW_3s

Comment

Working...
                      X