Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Shown Off Next Month

Phoronix: Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Shown Off Next Month

To no huge surprise, the next-generation OpenGL standard will be shown off next month at GDC 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This was a lot quicker than I expected. A lot.

Comment

Is it too much to hope that "running on glNext drivers and hardware" would include running on Linux?

Comment

Yes way earlier than expected

We will present a technical breakdown of the API, advanced techniques and live demos of real-world applications running on glNext drivers and hardware.
        Really sounds interesting.

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Is it too much to hope that "running on glNext drivers and hardware" would include running on Linux?
        I doubt that

Comment

I guess we have a long way to go before we get full OpenGL support in Mesa. Maybe things will speed up once NIR matures and AMDGPU is finished and the new AMD cards are enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            I think it will, because as I see it, this all started with steam coming to Linux, and valve want to release a steam machine, running debian.

Before we had steam on Linux, Gabe said he knew all about the less stronger points of Linux, and he mentioned the vid driver part.

Before steam for Linux, I remember discussions, were was stated, nobody games on Linux, so we don't need fast vid drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
              I think it will, because as I see it, this all started with steam coming to Linux, and valve want to release a steam machine, running debian.

Before we had steam on Linux, Gabe said he knew all about the less stronger points of Linux, and he mentioned the vid driver part.

Before steam for Linux, I remember discussions, were was stated, nobody games on Linux, so we don't need fast vid drivers.
              Eh, already when discussion on Steam for Linux started display drivers had become one of the least messy parts of Linux. The by far most messy is binary compatibility

Comment

I remain "cautiously optimistic". Let's pay attention and see how many driver(s) they show actually able to run this new API. What I'm really interested in: real tools and a real driver testing/validation process with teeth. Without either I'm going to become very skeptical.

I suspect devs will be shipping GL 3/4 backends for many years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by richgel999 View Post
                  What I'm really interested in: real tools and a real driver testing/validation process with teeth
                  This should be in CAPS, bolded, underlined and displayed with ultra super extra big large fonts

Comment

I could think of a "real-world application" Valve could show to demonstrate OpenGL Next.
                    It would invovle rendering lots of headcrabs.....

Comment

Working...
                    X