Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D accelaration with ATI on Slack 12.1

I have HD 2400 AGP.
    I would like to ask about 2D which is slow, e.g. listviews, menus and browsing in konq at all are slow. Any ideas bout options in Xorg?

Code:
     Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
    	Option      	"UseInternalAGPGART" 	"no"
            Option      	"XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
            Option      	"TexturedVideo" 	"off"
    	Option		"VideoOverlay"		"on"
    	Option		"OpenGLOverlay"		"off"
    	Option      	"UseFastTLS" 		"2"
    	Option		"ColorTiling" 		"on"
    	Option		"EnablePageFlip" 	"true"
    	Option		"RenderAccel" 		"true"
    	Option          "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
    	Option          "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    	Option          "mtrr" "off"
    	Option          "no_accel" "no"
    	Option          "no_dri" "no"
    	Option          "EnablePrivateBackZ" "no"
    	Option          "backingstore" "true"
    	Option		"GARTSize" "256"
    	Option		"MergedFB" "off"

As a first step I would comment them all out. I don't know what all of them do but the ones I do recognize seem mostly wrong, like they're left over from an older card.

Just a few examples : XAANoOffscreenPixmaps was a workaround for a corruption bug fixed months ago. Textured Video should be on for X1xxx and up, Video Overlay should be off for the same range of cards. Don't think any of those will affect 2d performance but most of the others look suspicious too.

Also note that these days the drivers get most of their input from the amdpcsdb file, not xorg.conf.
    Test signature

Comment

What about

Driver "fglrx"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      and try again?

Comment

And what do you mean? these 2 options are set by 8.6 ati driver.

Comment

I mean you should be using those two options and nothing more as less options means best experience.

Comment

The BusID is not needed when there is only 1 ATI card inside.

Comment

Well, I've commented ALL options, except those two. Video playback freezes system completely. Not saying about browsing in konq.. 2D performance is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Also note that these days the drivers get most of their input from the amdpcsdb file, not xorg.conf.
                I see.

Just curious, should we edit this file? If we are suppose to edit this file, how should we do it? Where can we find this file in the system?

Comment

There is an aticonfig utility which you can use to dump and edit the amdpcsdb file; it is also updated automatically by the control panel (CCC-LE).
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    There is an aticonfig utility which you can use to dump and edit the amdpcsdb file; it is also updated automatically by the control panel (CCC-LE).
                    I see. Does it still honor the same "Makers" for standard Xorg log file (see below)?

Code:
                    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                    So, do we still search for 'EE' or 'WW' for any error or warning in the log file in order to figure out or finding clues on what went wrong, and '**' for what has been enabled in the config file? Or, with fglrx, we are suppose to exhaustively read through the entire X log file to hunt for problem?

Comment

Working...
                    X