Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been using virtualbox since back when Innotek made it for OS/2. Have qemu installed too but even with virt-manager I don't think it's as easy to set up. Might be out of laziness though.

Comment

The nice thing about vbox is that you usually get updates when it is needed, like you can usually use it with latest kernels. Also the addons are really useful, maybe a little drawback is that not everything is opensource like USB 2.0 support or RDP. But i habe got a simple script to download the extpack. You find vbox preinstalled in Kanotix Special ISO images. Maybe VMware is fester for games, but all i needed was at max an USB printer/scanner. KVM is not really for beginners and you can not integrate it so nicely. I don't see a huge need for changes, if a guest does not work correctly you get usually updates aswell, that's enough for me and many users.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        qemu's not as difficult as the documentation makes it out to be, especially since version 2.2 added shorthand syntax to set up disk drives. The important thing for decent performance is to use -enable-kvm, -cpu host, and specify more RAM than the paltry 128MB default. This command gets me what I want (and add "-cdrom file.iso" the first time you run to load install media).

Code:
        qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cpu host -machine q35 -m 2G -soundhw hda /path/to/disk.img
        With qemu the graphic interface has never been as responsive as with virtualbox for me. It seems laggy, as if the pointer does not follow exactly your mouse movements. A tipical VNC behaviour.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
          What I like most of VirtualBox is its consistency between OSs...KVM+libvirt isn't usable on Windows, for instance.
          That's why when I need to connect to my KVM-hosted VMs from Windows I do it by running virt-manager on Linux in a VirtualBox VM

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
            That's why when I need to connect to my KVM-hosted VMs from Windows I do it by running virt-manager on Linux in a VirtualBox VM
            You can run a VM inside a VM? Last time I tried something similar that experiment failed miserably.

Comment

I use it on linux and it works wonderful. I'm hosting windows guest with 3D and Aero enabled on the experimental drivers.
              Wake me up when any OO alternative manages the ease of use of the Virtualbox interface, I only had to use the command line to increase disk size and that's all I ever needed.

Comment

What I'd like to see in VirtualBox

I am personally ready to give up on VirtualBox, but since VMware Player isn't licensed for commercial use, and I use a Windows 7 PC at work, I have no other choice for running Linux guests. But for VirtualBox to succeed, I agree that it either needs a fork or better commercial sponsorship than what Oracle has been providing. I miss the Innotek and Sun days when VirtualBox would pioneer new virtualization features with each releases, and when releases were frequent.

These are the things I'd like to see in VirtualBox going forward:
                • General bugfixes and cleanups. The codebase has gotten a little stagnant and there are just annoying bugs here and there that could really use attention.
                • Open-source USB 2.0 support. Probably not likely to happen.
                • USB 3.0 support. It's embarrassing that USB 3.0 has been around for nearly 7 years yet there is no sign that VirtualBox will support it anytime soon. Other virtualization products have full USB 3.0 support.
                • Full UEFI 2.x support. The EFI/UEFI support in VirtualBox doesn't work for most guest operating systems.
                • Improved volume management support, to dynamically shrink/grow volumes on the fly, or to split volumes and snapshots.

Comment

What's up with the command line phobia? It's strange hearing it on phoronix forums.

Comment

Well, the SVN repo is still very much active and there are some new interesting features like SVGA support (including 3D!), USB3, virtual USB sticks and some paravirtualization stuff (search for Hyper-V in the svn log).

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      Most of the Vbox software IS opensource, so anyone could takeover the development and advance VBox.

[overwhelming sound of crickets]
                      There is really no need. KVM is way forward, it is GNU/Linux's killer app. It works now on ARM, Power and x86, while VirtualBox is x86 only due to hideous amount of x86 assembly code. Windows port of Vbox is of no use for me, I don't use Windows for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X