No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 4.4 Released With Better OOXML Support, UI Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fine with the user interface, I do not need "fancy" looks, they distract me and keep me from reaching the things I wanted. I like to see the content in colours if need be but not the frame around it. Windows 95 battleship grey wasn't that bad.
    I never got warm with any ribbon stuff.
    Either way, good to see the next release, sadly I still have to be lucky over any OOXML improvements. Way too many people still use this pesterous format.
    Last edited by Adarion; 30 January 2015, 05:13 AM.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

>> so I don't understand your point there
      The MS Office Ribbon is limited to MS Office. Those who master it build up a habitual intolerance to other user interfaces. At that point it's a non-transferable skill. locking one into being uncomfortable with other conventional interfaces. A lot of GUI-centric applications use established menu and function names, where a user can become experienced with a particular application, a transferable skill where he/she can adapt to a different application with a much smaller learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Vi

(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10char)
        That's funny:

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Either way, good to see the next release, sadly I still have to be lucky over any OOXML improvements.
          The issue is actually created by Microsoft themselves for the very purpose of vendor lock-in. No matter what, the competitions will continue to play catch up. Sometimes, Microsoft by doing so made their own format incompatible within their own Office.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            The issue is actually created by Microsoft themselves for the very purpose of vendor lock-in. No matter what, the competitions will continue to play catch up. Sometimes, Microsoft by doing so made their own format incompatible within their own Office.
            http://www.linuxveda.com/2014/11/29/...andard-format/
            I know. I know. They don't even keep to their own published "standards" and yes, MSO is not even compatible with itself. But try to explain non-computer people these issues. They will just tell you to use MSO, especially at universitys "we get it so cheap here, why worry".
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              I know. I know. They don't even keep to their own published "standards" and yes, MSO is not even compatible with itself. But try to explain non-computer people these issues. They will just tell you to use MSO, especially at universitys "we get it so cheap here, why worry".
              The school i work in has an agreement with Microsoft where the school will pay Microsoft an agreed-upon amount of money every year; in return, all students and staff are entitled to free licenses of Office. In return, we are required to keep stock of the licenses issued and Microsoft reserves the right to audit the license records and carry out an unannounced investigation if it suspects any abuse of the privilege.

Hardly any incentive to use anything other than Office in this environment.

BTW, just successfully built the latest git version of LO.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 31 January 2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Microsoft reserves the right to audit the license records and carry out an unannounced investigation if it suspects any abuse of the privilege.
                This alone should be enough incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  This alone should be enough incentive.
                  Oh geez, I didn't know the police were supposed to announce their search warrants in advance as well. You know, so the suspects can destroy the fucking evidence.
                  same thing.

Comment

There is a huge difference between a corporation and the police.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      There is a huge difference between a corporation and the police.
                      Yet MS has gone so far they think it is okay to be some sort of "IT police" and "PC tax" collectors. One of reasons I dislike them so much is this kind of attitude. Bunch of really unwelcome usurpers.

Comment

Working...
                      X