Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inkscape 0.91 Goes Through C++ Code Conversion, New Cairo Rendering, OpenMP Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inkscape is doing a large amount of C++ code refactorization and eventually a C++11 move. It's been reducing the pig of a memory footprint and leaks, but still has a UI that needs a complete overhaul.

They said after 0.92 the GTK+3 will be the default UI for 1.0.

The original CAD functionality has never reached their ambitions from say 5 years ago.

The 0.92 release goals are more interesting than the stuff they've been drudging through for the past 4 years.

Like Scribus the tool is a promising clusterbomb that never matures and settles down. Always in perpetual beta mode.

Comment

I wish they'd rewrite the UI to use Qt instead so it wouldn't have to run in an X11 instance on Mac.

Comment

According to the Release Notes it was released yesterday, so they still have time to announce it.

Anyway, oh my fucking god!!! About motherfucking time!!!!

0.48 was released in 2010, and this much needed release took way longer than it should, especially considering that a lot of the new features were already ready and waiting in parallel branches for some time. I sure hope that 0.92 comes out before 2020...

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          According to the Release Notes it was released yesterday, so they still have time to announce it.

Anyway, oh my fucking god!!! About motherfucking time!!!!

0.48 was released in 2010, and this much needed release took way longer than it should, especially considering that a lot of the new features were already ready and waiting in parallel branches for some time. I sure hope that 0.92 comes out before 2020...
          Now the only two remaining are GIMP and Openshot (the new version was supposed to be released more than 1 year ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            I wish they'd rewrite the UI to use Qt instead so it wouldn't have to run in an X11 instance on Mac.
            I sure don't. I'd prefer GTK+ improve its Cocoa/Quartz native support and have a smaller footprint than the pig that Qt11 is in libraryitis.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Now the only two remaining are GIMP and Openshot (the new version was supposed to be released more than 1 year ago).
              And the port of Gimp to GEGL some 10 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                I sure don't. I'd prefer GTK+ improve its Cocoa/Quartz native support and have a smaller footprint than the pig that Qt11 is in libraryitis.
                GTK devs do not care about other platforms than Linux running Gnome.
                Last I checked the Inkscape devs had a religious aversion against Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                  How about GTK3 version? Will it be used by default now?
                  Inkscape 0.91 runs just fine with GTK 3. Linux distributors would be nuts not to use it.

Comment

its not actually released yet... thats pre4 tarball which more than likely will become the final release....

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      GTK devs do not care about other platforms than Linux running Gnome.
                      Last I checked the Inkscape devs had a religious aversion against Qt.
                      That's why they're making improvements to the stacks to make it run better on OS X?

Comment

Working...
                      X