No announcement yet.

New Mesa Patch To Improve CPU-Bound Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, you can announce real performance improvment for radeon, LLVM scheduler finally enabled

All the pieces are in llvm and mesa main git . 12% in unigine benchmarks, 60% for dolphin emulator and roughly 1-5% for any game

You can say up to the 60% if you like

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Tarceri seems offended by me previosly with my comments about his SIMD optimizations which for sure does not give any gain in mesa and usually leave sarcastic comments whenever he see me in the thread, but what should i do about that it has a right to feel how he like

And about those virtual up to tha 10% we don't know much about, only we can happily assume when someone from intel said "some of our internal heavy benchmarks gain up to 10%" that besides that is publicly unknown benchmark also usually means using intel compiler, so most of the usuall distribution users won't see that gain - it is more likely around 1.5% that is what i said in first post of this thread, etc...
      No offence taken I just have a problem with you spreading false and misleading information. If you tested things properly I wouldn't have an issue.

So your only claim that its only 1.5% rather than 10% is that you assume they are using the Intel compiler? I don't recall the devs ever saying they use anything other than gcc and clang
      Last edited by tarceri; 29 January 2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have any rendering artifacts with current Mesa-git and other stack from git?
        For me both tropics and sanctuary are broken on both intel and radeon cards.
        But the problems are opposit: on radeon I have black textures and on intel everything is white.
        I use pontostroy's repo on suse.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
          No offence taken I just have a problem with you spreading false and misleading information. If you tested things properly I wouldn't have an issue.

So your only claim that its only 1.5% rather than 10% is that you assume they are using the Intel compiler? I don't recall the devs ever saying they use anything other than gcc and clang
          Mesa devs use and test various compilers not only gcc or clang When some company employee say "tested internally" that can mean anything, and you wouldn't hear a word what exactly that is and up to 10% claim *is* about what they virtualy "have" internally .

I tested that patch in 3 random for me CPU bound apps and saw something like 1%, 1.3% and 1.5%. that is about it

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
            Does anyone have any rendering artifacts with current Mesa-git and other stack from git?
            But the problems are opposit: on radeon I have black textures and on intel everything is white.
            I use Debian and radeon, self compiled mesa-f01e8d3 and llvm-3.7~svn227492 both tropics and sanctuary renders fine. Yeah, performance there is never better now that scheduler is enabled in llvm

I don't have compiled for example nine or new shader-cache, might it have something to do with those or yeah some bug with exact commits he had build upon, etc...
            Last edited by dungeon; 29 January 2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

you need to get one of those inteon cards so you could have everything grey instead

idk what's the problem ) gugl or sifting through mesa buglist might help

Comment

I can not confirm, hd 7790 all works fine

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                  I can not confirm, hd 7790 all works fine
                  http://savepic.su/4913608.png
                  I have intel hd4000+radeon 7750M.
                  These are examples of corruptions:
                  Black rendering on radeon and white image on intel.
                  Yours radeon is from CIK but mine is from SI generation. Anyways it is kinda fun: two opposite bugs on two different vendors.
                  Could you also check intel?

Also I tried Heaven-4. The rendering is fine except wierd triangle-shaped tearing. In addition, I do not see any speedup from spilling fixes.

Comment

IMO it would be better for everyone if devs will care to explain a bit what has been measured and how exactly they have got their results. This will help others to evaluate changes on different configuratoins.

While I fail to imagine how this particular set can make things worse (it probably will improve things for everyone using MESA or at least I fail to see how it can cause harm), there is still one thing to consider. We all running different hardware. Different CPUs, GPUs and so on. And what's good for one config is not necessarily good for another config. And it will be better for MESA as whole if it will be easier to evaluate performance more globally, not just under some particular config some particular devs had.

Comment

Could you also check intel?
                      yes white screen on intel

Comment

Working...
                      X