Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deve View Post
    HL2 is over 10 years old...

Other thing is that in theory mesa supports opengl 3, but in practice it has still problems with some functions.
    Could you be more specific about the problems you've encountered?
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT and witcher 2 works fine with gl32 and mesa 10.4-10.5

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Well ... i enjoyed it with wine. If anything is messy, it's eON. If you turn two blind eyes to eON you can call it experimental/study project at best.
        I really hate the concept of wine installing a mini windows with all the fake windows libs, even forcing its notepad and internet explorer into your menus and messing up file associations etc. If you install wine, you can only fully get rid of it by reinstalling the OS. On the other hand, eON is a simple coating around the exe, a clean wrapper that doesn't go beyond the install directory. It may perform a bit worse currently, but it doesn't really matter. Years go by, we have stronger and stronger hardware. One day it'll run at 1000 fps even if the code remains the same.

Well, if wine could come up with a simple wrapper version as well, that would be great. However, it won't happen probably.

Comment

small performance and cpu usage comparsion

Native (31 fps \ 39% cpu)
          Wine gallium-nine (26 fps \ 41% cpu)
          Wine-csmt (23 fps \ 66% cpu)
          Wine (12 fps \ 34% cpu)

Comment

For those on Mesa, it's WIP: https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-W...mment-71993295

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              You can run it. Enter the install directory and issue this command manually:
              Code:
              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32/ ~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./witcher2 --eon_opengl21
              Updating this, thanks to Pontostroy.

To use TW2 in Steam properly with Mesa, right click the game, select properties, then set launch options, and put this into the field:
              Code:
              MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT %command%
              The game will then run properly. The launcher, the overlay, everything works.

This is the best workaround until a new patch comes.

Comment

Anyway, second hand games wrapped in anything like eOn, not for me anymore... I want nicely optimized games for my penguin :-) I guess I will have to wait for Valve to show the others what they can do with a flightless bird ... ;-) HL3 plzzzz

Comment

maybe a stupid question, but is there a patch for gog version out there somewhere? couldn't find any link for it, except for older version

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    maybe a stupid question, but is there a patch for gog version out there somewhere? couldn't find any link for it, except for older version
                    Not yet.

Comment

A game dev bug

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      According to the dev, mesa fails when the game is asking for a core context instead of querying all 3.2 extensions one by one. It's a mesa bug. That's good news, because it can be worked around (by going the querying route) in the game, and also it can be fixed in mesa. We only have to wait a bit, probably both will happen.
                      It is not a bug. I guess the game dev. do not know that mesa does not support compatiblity extension. You can create core profile till 3.3. What they do is that they are trying to mix old OpenGL stuff (compatiblity mode) with new one. They should get rid of compatibility mode.
                      Last edited by Yaakuro; 30 January 2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X