Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 "Jessie" Installer RC1 Released

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 "Jessie" Installer RC1 Released

The first release candidate for the Debian Jessie Installer in leading up to the Debian 8.0 "Jessie" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Announced today. Available on the site since January 9th. I've been checking it out in a VM since then and it is really solid. I hope it gets released sooner than projected (end of the year) my Debian 6 LTS installs are showing their age.

Comment

We've been testing Jessie on a number of to-be production machines. Seemed silly to start with Wheezy now. Very happy with it overall. These include a couple of PC Engines APU boxes and I managed to get them running under F2FS, subject to a fair amount of post-install fiddling, of course. If only they'd push initramfs-tools-117 or 118 into Jessie because then it would almost work out of the box.

Comment

I propose a vote to make systemd a specific choice on install.
        /me wonders what happens now with this thread :-).

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          I propose a vote to make systemd a specific choice on install.
          Not easely possibile when systemd is already decided as default, but is ease to just make it as option for grub - that is done.

Comment

First time I booted Jessie I just about spit my soda out I got a boot prompt so quickly. I think most of this systemd hatred is bandwagon BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              subject to a fair amount of post-install fiddling, of course
              If you choose Debian you usually want to do the fiddling yourself

Comment

Anyone remember a time where something called "RC1" actually had some chance of being shipped?

Comment

Cant wait

I can't wait for the official release I plan on doing a fresh install with a new larger SSD mostly for Steam!

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
                    Announced today. Available on the site since January 9th. I've been checking it out in a VM since then and it is really solid. I hope it gets released sooner than projected (end of the year) my Debian 6 LTS installs are showing their age.
                    I had heard it was supposed to be February/March for the release. If they have released an 'RC1' of the installer, that means it's pretty close (in Debian terms, that's a few months) but since they've been in a freeze for a while, they should be closing up the release critical bugs, then releasing. Not sure what their progress there is, but I happily use Debian Jessie on my desktops at home and work, and on a server at home. With the exception of the occasional shitty bug in Evolution's Exchange plugin (causing all your logs to be spammed bad enough that the hard drive fills up) I haven't had any issues.

Granted, that's a pretty nasty bug, that has been reported, and I think it mainly happens if you try to copy the address book of a large company to Evolution.

Comment

Working...
                    X