RV770 Support Added To RadeonHD Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg still goes crazy....by short moments

I have reported before that in my system, the CPU was used intensively by xorg. With the ATI proprietary fglrx driver, it helped to reduce the slowliness in the applications, and eliminated dvd jerky playback in gnome.

But in KDE is a different story. Playing a DVD with Kaffeine gives black rectangles flickering in the screen. Clicking in the menus of Kaffeine cause them to flicker too. If Kaffeine is reduced to a small window and another application cover is full screen, then I can see the black window of Kaffeine overlaying the application.

Top shows also that xorg, both in Gnome and KDE, uses the CPU at very high %, although this only for a short moment. But this is not normal. My previous system had a 1GHz CPU with an old Radeon 9250 card and never saw that kind of problems.

I still believe that the ATI propietary driver still does not provide perfect support for this integrated gpu, HD-3200

Or can someone with a similar system tell me if my xorg.conf should be modified? Here is my present configuration. Thanks for your suggestions.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    EndSection

Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "i2c"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    # Load "extmod"
    SubSection "extmod"
    Option "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "AL2223W"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "MonitorLayout" "AUTO, AUTO"
    Option "UseEvents" "boolean"
    # Option "NoAccel" "false"
    # Option "DRI" "true"
    # Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    # Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    # Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    # Option "FBTexPercent" "50"
    BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
    Monitor "AL2223W"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1440x1440" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1440x1440" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "1"
    EndSection
    Last edited by Maxei; 26 July 2008, 11:58 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

The config options are definitely wrong for the graphics block -- starting with the 5xx generation we completely changed the display block and no longer use the overlay for normal video playback. The older chips had dedicated video processing hardware in the overlay block, but newer chips use shaders to perform the back end video processing. This will result in higher CPU utiliization but also makes it possible to run the video through a compositor (although we're not doing that yet).

I would comment out all of the Option lines in Device, but at minimum you want VideoOverlay off and TexturedVideo on. That said, the driver gets most of its settings from amdpcsdb, and those contents are set & viewed using CCCLE or the aticonfig utility.

Are the settings in your xorg.conf left over from the earlier card ?

Anyways, first thing IMO would be to comment out all the Display option lines (leave Identifier and Driver), then take a look in amdpcsdb using aticonf. Try starting with aticonfig --help and that will give you the rest of the info you need.
      Test signature

Comment

No, these options are written by my script. Because that was the way to enable Xv with older releases. I can not check which series a card is and then enable or disable those options. It was definitely not my fault that the older fglrx drivers _required_ those options.

Comment

Makes sense. It may be that the aticonfig --initial (or whatever) command sets up enough stuff in amdpcsdb so that the modern drivers ignore the problematic entries anyways, not sure.

If the options are just required for older drivers then I guess it might be feasible for your scripts to switch on driver version so you don't have to actually probe the card ?
          Test signature

Comment

Usually those options are not critical, some of em are just ignored. The TexturedVideo option is one of the options which is absolutely nonsence anyway, because the driver has to switch that itself. I basically write those:

Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"

That means that the driver should use Xv. It does not say anything about what _how_ the driver should provide Xv, it is still up to the driver. If the user has to specify that if he wants to see a video correctly then fglrx is faulty. The aticonfig tools is one of the worst things ever created. My perl/sed replacements work much better. Also I can not see any logic in aticonfig, it writes only a template with initial - and a very bad one when the xorg.conf looked a bit more complex before. In some cases the tool just segfaults anyway - so no way to rely on it.

Comment

Yeah, the problem is that the options are too low-level. The "VideoOverlay" option doesn't mean "enable Xv", it means "have Xv use the dedicated video processor built into the overlay block of older ATI parts". TexturedVideo means "have Xv use shaders".

I think we do need options more like the ones you are talking about, eg "enable Xv" but those are not the options we have today.
              Test signature

Comment

Why not use the new way directly when the old is not possible?

Comment

Thank you bridgman and kano for posting comments. Although this goes a bit far from my limited knowledge, I do agree that kano's script modified the Device section as is shown, and it uncommented the options that I was testing with the previous (bad) installed fglrx.

So, if I well understood, this integrated GPU is relatively new, and hence the options that kano suggested may not apply to it?

Alright. I'll have to play around with the options to find out if something can improve (or worsen!) the driver's function. I will try that, begining by uncomenting all, except what brigdmnan suggests, understanding that the option "enable Xv" does not exist yet.
                  I will post latter on. Thank you.

Comment

tested xorg options

I have tested the xorg options, by commenting out all the options, and by enabling them also. To me, there are no noticeable differences. It's like the fglrx driver just ignores whatever option is in the device section.

Anyway, I solved the flickering of the kaffeine window in KDE by disabling the transparency and shadow effects in KDE control center.

Xorg CPU use is very high at moments and is the same whether I coment out all options or leave them enabled.

One more thing. When I logout from KDE using the logout button, I lose the X server. I get a black screen, and CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE cannot rescue it, so I have to switch the power button off then on to get back. But if I restart the xserver with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE (instead of using that logout button) I can get back to the gdm. strange, but maybe this has nothing to do with the driver.

I hope that ATI developers take a closer look at this driver, maybe some more fixing is needed, especially to provide 3D support. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X